Yummy School dinners!

they were my absaloute favorite, them and cheese flan!!! Im sure the croquettes had rice in them aswell, Id love the recipe also if anyone can get the actual school dinners one!!x

I have the cheese flan one.

For the pastry

8oz Plain flour

2oz lard, 2oz butter

(rub together to form breadcrumb texture, add a few spoons of water and mix to form dough)

For the flan bit

Small onion chopped

3 eggs

half pint of milk

loads of cheese (grated) preferably mature red cheddar.

Roll out pasty and line a flan dish, part bake (either prick pastry with fork or fill with baking parchment and hard peas)

Add onion to part baked pastry

Add cheese until nearly full

Combine egg and milk and add to dish

Decorate with tomatoes (optional)

Baked in hot oven (180) for about 30 minutes

Serve with chips and beans

My school used to do 'Cheese & Potato Pie'. It was mashed potato and grated cheese mixed together and put in a pie dish.

About 2 fork-fulls of it would fill you up and start coming out of your nose.

We still use it as a metaphor for when something sticks in your throat and makes you retch.

I went looking in the sops to buy Cheese Croquettes but couldnt find them anywhere I use to love Cheese Croquettes baked beans and chips when at school. I wish you could still buy them in the shop you see potatoe ones but not cheese.

I dont ever recall school dinners being 'Yummy'. Worst of all, I had this horrible teacher who took great pleasure volunteering for guard duty in the dinner hall each and every dinnertime and she wouldnt let you leave until you finished every last crumb off your plate. She was evil... I am surprised I dont have some sort of eating issues/disorder now.

Yeah! Cheese flan!!! It was made in a massive steel container and if you were dead lucky you'd get a corner bit with two sides of pastry on. Mmmmmm.

Oh my fave was that custard/Manchester tart with coconut in. Christ that was gooooood....:love:

We never had croquettes though - i first had them when I was a student - Tesco used to do them.

This was all only at primary mind, secondary school dinners were spew apart from the sandwiches and those 3 inch thick pizzas.

Archived