Yummy School dinners!

I thought at first some of you folk were joking when you said you liked the school dinners. Then, I read that you were offered scrumptious morsels like cheese croquettes, ice cream with butterscotch sauce, and angel delight. In my day (now doesn't that date me?) at High Storrs GS for boys, we sat at long tables, 14 to a table, with the table prefects at the head of the table dishing out the food. Table prefects were coveted positions because on the rare occasion that something tasty showed up (roast potatoes with grated cheese stands out) they could help themselves to an extra portion. I speak from experience. But, prunes with watery custard, sago pudding, grissly stew and peas that we used to call "bullets" and flick at one another, were some of the staples. One day my pals and I decided to seek respite from this unappetizing fare and we were spotted wandering around the streets eating fish and chips. Well, of course, the headmaster called us into his office and gave us each six of the best for tarnishing the image of the school. After all, shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

Anyone remember the potato shortage, every school dinner we were given a bag of crisps instead of potato??? Still don't know were the potato's came from to make crisps.

Yes I remember at hillsborough middle having cheese pie, tinned tomatoes and crisps that invariably went soggy, what the hell were they thinking?

Given to me many years ago by a dinner lady @ Westfield School

CHEESE CROQUETTE’S

2Pints Milk 12oz Pudding Rice

2oz Flour 2oz Onion Chopped small

11b 10oz Cheese 2 Eggs Beaten

For best results use 11b 5oz mature red chedder/5oz normal red cheddar.

Method

Cook rice in 2 pt milk until soft or absorbed all milk.

Grate cheese and onion, mix with rice and allow to cool.Then chill in fridge for a few hrs or over night it’s easier to shape then.

On a floured surface shape rice mix into shape ( 20 portions )

Dip in egg then breadcrumbs

Deep fry in moderate hot oil until golden brown.

SCHOOL CHEESE FLAN

Bake a pastry case blind ( lined with greaseproof and topped with dried pasta or dried peas) Not blindfolded !.

FILLING

3qrt 1b Cheese 1 third Pint of Milk 2 Eggs

Half Tsp Mustard ( powdered mustard ) Onion ( grated )

Method

Just mix all ingredients together then add to pastry case

Bake middle shelf Gas 6 or 200C / 400F

Infant School Recipe For Flan

As above leaving out the Onion and Mustard, add the grated cheese to flan base and then pour mixture on top.

Denise

There used to be a saying when I was at school it went like this.

Say what you will,

School dinners make you ill,

A friend of mine he died of shepherds pie,

All school din dins come from pig binsthats no lie.

Archived