The Young Writers Thread (aged 10-15)

Thank you Shoeshine :)

I do think she is talented of course, I am biased, but then I'm a mum and it is allowed :)

She is very intent on writing being her path in life, so please don't feel shy about making constructive criticism, she is happy to learn from other writers. As she is home educated there isn't quite so much of an opportunity to get other people's opinions on her work, and she values your comments.

We have nothing to criticise here. This child is very talented. Let her get all her poetry down, as you lose your imagination as you get older.

We have nothing to critisise here. This child is very talented. Let her get all her poetry down, as you lose your imagination as you get older.

I know it sounds a bit "trite", pattricia, and I didn't mention it in my previous reply to hennypenny, but I had the same thoughts on this as you, regarding a younger person's imagination, and way of seeing things. As we get older, we tend to get "programmed".

It's great to have access to a younger person's imagination untainted by the burdens of conformity placed there by other educational/formal factors.

I am impressed also to be told Polkie is being taught at home. I have a great admiration for Crayfish, another SF poster and also a product of home tuition. He's a young University student with a maturity beyond his years, and is quite brilliant intellectually, in my opinion. :)

Yes, I agree with shoeshine here as well. It seems more children are being home educated now. I think the word that springs to mind with this young girls writing is "Fresh". I didnt know that Crayfish was home educated,but I will look out for his posts. I think the The Young Writers Thread is going to be more succesful than we imagined.

As far as I know, given that the last time I heard from him on Thursday he was waiting for the photographer to arrive, and he had already talked to the reporter. He is not too good at communicating with home - grrrr.

Page 17, Sunday Express - only one error, I have never been a qualified teacher.

Read this thread if you want to know more about home education http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191102

You could even sign the petition :)

Last year, a very good friend of ours died suddenly..

My daughter aged 11 at the time wrote this poem and we had it put in the Star..

Here it is..

Lorraine Lorraine

We miss you so

Ever since you left us

Our hearts are low

The sky is black

The clouds are dull

Whenever you were with us

Our hearts were full

We know you've gone to a better place

We know you'll have a smile

Upon your pretty face

But in all

That it is true

That we will never forget you

She wrote this from her heart... Still makes me cry now..

Hi Sarah

That is heartfelt and conveys a real feeling of loss and love. I have found it helps me to be able to express feelings in words, so I hope it was helpful for your daughter too.

It was very helpful for her yes..

She got alot of praise for what she wrote and that made her feel a little better I think..

I woke up far too early this morning, so to pass the time I am going to type out another of Polkies poems that she wrote last year :-

Disposable Feelings - Mar 2006, by Polkie age 10

Tears come dripping down my nose

I don't turn around, keep my eyes closed

I know you're watching, but what can I do?

I keep trying to hide my hurt from you

Straighten my shoulders, put on a smile

a weak one will have to do for a while

You look slightly puzzled but laugh anyway

Want to come to my house next Friday?

Disposable feelings are just not for me

I don't understand why you can't see

Say that you love me, my life is comlete

But you don't and I find it so hard to believe

I feel somewhat different; I can't hide any more

Tonight in your bedroom, we'll close the door

My life is in shambles, my heart is a wreck