Old Intake Fire Station - Woodhouse Rd

When I was a kid in the early 1950's we used to live behind the fire station in Woodhouse Rd, where my dad worked.

Several years ago, on a visit back to my roots, I took my kids to see it and it had become a Tyre Depot.

Can anyone remember when the new sration opened up please?

Hello Hutch!

Thanks for the date, about 6 y after we moved.

You mention a book about the Fire Brigade. Is it a recent publication and likely to be still available?

My dad was a Sheffield fireman for about 20y, excluding war service, before moving to the E Riding FB.

Thanks again

Hi the book is only small[ THE SHEFFIELD FIRE BRIGADE ] 36 pages printed 1969 to commemorate the centenary of the brigade, produced by the fire brigade themselves early history includes a list of horses with details of disposal and illnesses they had. plus later vehicles with lots of photo,s of fire officers etc.

Printed by theCity of Sheffield printing dept. no ref details

I remember it well, When i was little about 3 or 4 we used to walk past it quite often and if the doors were open i used to look inside at the engines.Sometimes this particular fireman used to see me and say " Fetch a piece of string and you can take one home with you next time". I pestered my mam but she never gave me any string. Outside there was a column like an obelisk and on top was a glass flame that glowed red at night ,further down the column was a button marked in case of fire press button I bet they had trouble with that .

• 2 years later...

I worked on the building of that fire station as a laborer mixing concrete. It was while I was a student during the summer break. I lasted 2 weeks. Fridays at 3 p.m. all the laborers went into hiding because that was the time when the foreman gave you the 2 hour notice. Second Friday, he caught me up a ladder with a hod of bricks on my shoulder. "Tha't done today lad," says he. '63 sounds right. I can tie my self in with it during summer '62. It would have been completed over the Autumn/ Winter and opened the following yr.

I remember it well, When i was little about 3 or 4 we used to walk past it quite often and if the doors were open i used to look inside at the engines.Sometimes this particular fireman used to see me and say " Fetch a piece of string and you can take one home with you next time". I pestered my mam but she never gave me any string. Outside there was a column like an obelisk and on top was a glass flame that glowed red at night ,further down the column was a button marked in case of fire press button I bet they had trouble with that .

would like to see a pic of that....anybody???

Archived