Help - need a Hornby expert!

My 5 year old won a Hornby model railway set yesterday and I can't get the thing to work. Tried every suggestion in the book (twice!) and no luck.

Can anyone suggest anything? I've no receipt or anything and the constant pleas to make it go are getting to now :)

cheers

dave

Do you have a voltmeter? First port fo call is to make sure that there is power getting to the rails from the transformer (or whatever they call it these days!!)

Also, make sure there isn't a short circuit anywhere on the tracks - where the two rails are connected in some way.

Check the bottom of the locomotive - some of the engines have a small strip of sticky plastic that insulates the wheels from the pick-up that drives the motor. It will have a sort of 'pull me' indicator on it.

Cheers JoeP,

I've borrowed a voltmeter and the controller seems to be up the creek. The right voltage comes out of the transformer to the controller, but we should be getting 0 - 12 volts DC out depending on the speed setting, but we get a flat 24 DC volts, whatever the power is set to. Changing the direction switch changes the current from 24 volts to -24 volts, so that bit is working!

The big question now is has the 24volts toasted the train motor :gag:

cheers

dave

Eeek.

It may well have done, although I would have expected you to ahve smelt that event happening.

It's years since I've peered in to one the power controllers, but it's possible that they may have some sort of current limiting taht would kick in and stop the engine being fried.

Best of luck.

Cheers JoeP,

I've borrowed a voltmeter and the controller seems to be up the creek. The right voltage comes out of the transformer to the controller, but we should be getting 0 - 12 volts DC out depending on the speed setting, but we get a flat 24 DC volts, whatever the power is set to. Changing the direction switch changes the current from 24 volts to -24 volts, so that bit is working!

The big question now is has the 24volts toasted the train motor :gag:

cheers

dave

This voltage isn't being recorded off of the 'accessories' terminals is it?

Archived