Amy Winehouse - was it a good gig ?

I was at the gig on Saturday and have got to see that Miss Winehouse was fantastic! Didn't know what the que would be like so got there early and could see the lady herself wandering up and down the Octagon through the doors.

I got front row. Her support group Mr Hudson & the Library were a pleasant surprise. Their album, A Tale of Two Cities, came out on Monday- I highly reccomend it. This band will be huge.

Amy's set looked like something from a Supremes concert. Six old fashioned lampshades, a huge drumkit and a brass section to boot. While her 8-piece band dressed in suits, Amy wore jeans, t-shirt and trainers but all was forgiven when she belted out the first note of 'Know you now.' Have got to say, the first half of the gig was slightly depressing (even the lady said so herself) but after 'You know I'm know good' and 'Rehab', the crowd went wild.

She sipped on bacardi and coke throughout the whole gig. The encore had to be the best though! She did Toots & the Maytals 'Monkey Man' where the band just went crazy and ran round the stage, followed by a jazzy rendition of 'Valerie' by The Zutons. Truly amazing voice for such a tiny lady! Would see her again and again and again. If you ever get the chance, go see Amy Winehouse because her live singing rivals that of Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald and Jill Scott. Amazing. :thumbsup:

that version of Valerie is the one she's done with Mark Ronson who produced a lot of her album tracks and some of Lily Allen's too. Other tracks he's done are that radiohead cover you may have heard, 'Just', and the Smiths cover 'Stop me if you've heard this one before'.

He's playing at The Tuesday club next Tuesday, March 13th. more info here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=194003

I thought the Wimehouse gig was great. proper Motown stylins!

I really enjoyed Ms Winehouse - thought she was surprisingly tiny though! I wrote a review at http://www.musicOMH.com/gigs/amy-winehouse_0307.htm

The Mark Ronson album seems to be covers of various 'modern' songs done in a very soul/pop way - there's the Amy version of Valerie, Lily Allen covering the Kaisers' Oh My God and ODB covering Britney's Toxic. Out in April I believe.

Amy's set looked like something from a Supremes concert. Six old fashioned lampshades, a huge drumkit and a brass section to boot. While her 8-piece band dressed in suits, Amy wore jeans, t-shirt and trainers but all was forgiven when she belted out the first note of 'Know you now.' Have got to say, the first half of the gig was slightly depressing (even the lady said so herself) but after 'You know I'm know good' and 'Rehab', the crowd went

Having heard her music a lot in the clubs, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about; I wouldn't say Amy is anything special at all, just lucky; I know many females who can sing easily as well on karaoke sessions I go to at a couple of local clubs...

A lot of the live music I find on the scene these days seems to simply a case of pandering to the safest common denominator; Amy Winehouse might be a good singer, but it's all been done before, and better, by many others!

Hav I know many females who can sing easily as well on karaoke sessions I go to at a couple of local clubs...

You are kidding????

I don't really like the woman but i will acknowledge that she does have an amazing voice!!!!!

I wouldn't say Amy is anything special at all, just lucky; !

Lucky?

I must really have missed out on not going to Karaoke clubs .. all those great singers that should really be up there with the best of em ... still, they're lucky they to have your support.

Archived