Sheffield Simplex

Lucy81

• 1 month later...

derek seems to have got the subject sorted. Just a few aditional points. The company that restored Lord Riverdale's was Coldwell Engineering, Coldwell Lane, Sheffield.

The last Simplex to be sold was Lord Riverdale's car - a model La2 45hp so called gearless model. Hammer price at H&H Buxton auction in sep 2001 was £65,000. This was classified as a 1910 model and was brought back to England by Lord Riverdale. He was particularly interested in the marque since his company were later owners of the Sheffield Simplex factory in Tinsley.

Steve Myers

Yes the Charron Laycock is in Kelham Island Museum. It is not on display at the moment but they hope to have the Adsetts Simplex the Charron Laycock and the Richardson, along with 3 locally built motorcycles, on display in a purpose built transport hall sometime next year

Steve Myers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Derek,

Yes that's me. Sorry I can't reply to your your message - apparently I need to make 4 more postings to do that. The Riverdale Simplex does come to Sheffield. We had both the Adsetts and the Riverdale (now Thring) cars together at Chatsworth Country fair and at the Wortley car show a couple of years ago. Sadly the Riverdale car was involved in an accident earlier this year and is laid up waiting completion. I have the Adsetts car part dismantled for some engine work at the moment, but hopefully both will be back in action next year.

Hi Steve Myers,

Who's sorting out the LA2? Has it gone back to the cowshed or is it being done elsewhere? I'll send you a pm with my email address, I would appreciate it if you could let me know when the cars are to be seen in public again. The last time I saw them on the road, I followed them from Abbeydale Hamlet to Kelham Island one Sunday morning, that was well over five years ago. As you might have gathered, I have a bit of a liking for the older motor vehicle, but never likely to own one of my own. Still, I have a 78 Suzuki GT 500 in very average condition which I have been told is now a Classic Bike!

• 1 year later...

TIMR - whereabouts are you?

Sheffield Simplex are still going, kind of. They are now Sheffield-Simplex (Shefflex) on Clubmill Road - although this is the continuation of the name rather than the company as such.

The company has a fascinating history, including some incredible references in government archives to their construction of ambulances and armoured cars around the first world war. One of the armoured cars saw service in the Russian 'civil wars', a picture of which can be seen here, along with other links:

http://projects.lowtech.org/words-n-wheels/simplex1920.html

http://www.gallery.dircon.co.uk/7.sheffield-simp.html

http://www.oldtimersweb.be/treffens/circuitardennes2002/imagepages/image95.htm (what's happened to this one?)

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/latvia/lat_imanta.jpg (the armoured car)

All the best,

TRW

I don't think this has been mentioned, but a pre 1914 Simplex was sold a couple of years at auction in Buxton. I'll try to find the link. It is commonly thought that the Powerhouse and Kelham Island vehicles were the only survivors, but there seem to be a few others around the world.

simplex later became sheflex ltd and moved to rutland rd or rutland st--they traded in rufuge motors nyone have any mems on that

In 1996 or 1997, Shefflex moved to Club Mill Road in Neepsend, where they manufactured the towing brackets and other stuff for Towsure. Towsure bought the company in 1999, and in the last year moved into the old Samuel Osborne building, just off Rutland Road, but I don't know wether they still use the Shefflex name anymore.

Archived