Godfrey Sykes - architect

livie

I'm currently doing some research into the Sheffield architect Godfrey Sykes, he died in 1866 and has a memorial in Weston Park. I'm interested in finding out if anyone has any of his work in a private collection. Alot of his architectural drawings are at the V&A, but he was also a painter. Many of his paintings were of people working in Sheffield so it seems to make sense that there would be a few collectors in the area.

If anyone has any information that you think could help, I'd really appreciate it.

Have you tried the Mappin and Graves art galleries ? I would imagine they have prints of some of his work even if they have no originals

I have seen only one of his paintings - called, I think, 'The Railings'. It is a view of the cottage he lived in for a while at the end of St. Barnabas road in Highfield.

Livie

There is an excellent glossy, coloured booklet with may copies of many of the works of Sheffield painters.

I think it is out of print now but you may get one from Rare & Racy or Allen Hill books.

It is worth the effort.

Hope this helps'

Happy Days!

I wonder if that could be The Great Sheffield Picture Show, an exhibition catalogue from 1989?!

This has no editorial content to speak of, but amongst the paintings illustrated are four by Sykes:

'Norfolk Market' 1853

'Fitzalan Market' 1853

'Cheney Square with St Paul's Church' 1858

'St Paul's Church from Union Street' 1858

All these are owned by the city, so you may be familiar with them.

Hugh

Archived