Did you work at ESC Brightside in the late 50's

Hi Eagleweb, Would .love to see the photos of ESC - I was there 1960 -1967 as Reasearch trainee for 3 years then in Welding Lab. John

Great John, if you'd like to email me at concordcarpets@gmail.com I can send you them. I cant work out how to attach them to this post I'm afraid.

Ps. Amazing that the open hearth furnaces were still in use when you were there.

---------- Post added 16-11-2017 at 11:50 ----------

I knew your father as my ex-husband (John Boast) worked with him in the Research department at ESC. We were also friends with him and your mother Mollie but lost touch after our divorce. I remember going to their wedding. I worked at ESC also as a comptometer operator from 1946-1951, latterly in the salaries department.

Hi Rohsgran. Thats fascinating to know, I will remember you to them. Thanks.

Edited by eagleweb

• 3 months later...

There are around 5 minutes of good quality sequence near the end of this 1963 drama film, with Sally Geeson, of inside ESC River Don Works and also outside at the junction of Brightside Lane, Hawke Street and Upwell Street. If you don't want to watch the full 55 mins.film, run it forwards to the sequence, which is between 48mins 50 secs in, to 54 mins, 20 secs......

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-wings-of-mystery-1963-online

Edited by PeterR

You're welcome John.

The shops were very much like those at Firth Brown's further down the road on Saville Street East where I worked between 1959 and '66. As an office junior aged 15 I first had the privilege of experiencing those sights, sounds and heat as I walked through the shops with documents. Also had an overhead crane licence in 1965.

Have you seen this film of Firth Brown's in 1957?....

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/firth-brown-tour-works

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2007 at 10:21, Sparkytom said:

Just thought I could stir anyones memories of English Steel Corporation. I worked there from 1955 to 1961. Moved around the works quite abit starting in the Billet and Rod rolling mill off of Hawke Street, then the electrical workshop, the foundry on Carlisle St, spring shop Carlisle St, smelting shop and rolling mill at Stevenson Rd, open hearth furnaces on Brightside Lane, the forge on Brightside Lane, main offices. Then back to Hawke Street West Machine shop, gun barrel plant. Finally finishing once again at the foundry Carlisle St.

The reason for working in all these areas, I was an electrical apprentice, could not have wished for a better training ground. Sadly most of it has all been pulled down or sold off.

I was a maintenance fitter at BSC Cyclops 83 - 85

• 2 weeks later...

My dad worked in the foundry on Brightside Ln with his Brother,  i worked at Swindon House in the welding Lab, when i used to visit the  SARCLAD unit at Brightside i would nip in to see him . All the blokes would shout , PUT A BIT OF RAPSBERRY ON MINE

as soon as i appeared in the white smock.

Jim.

On 24/01/2020 at 12:46, hobinfoot said:

My uncle John South worked for ESC. I remember him coming home after an accident at work he’d burnt the back of his neck.

I went to school and worked with him in the melting shop at the E.S.C. He once brought me home on his new motor bike and scared the wotsit out of me doing 83 mph down Brightside lane. It was 6am so no police about. Their house just off ellesmere road was where I first tasted fried eel.

On 01/02/2020 at 17:52, jad279 said:

My dad worked in the foundry on Brightside Ln with his Brother,  i worked at Swindon House in the welding Lab, when i used to visit the  SARCLAD unit at Brightside i would nip in to see him . All the blokes would shout , PUT A BIT OF RAPSBERRY ON MINE

as soon as i appeared in the white smock.

Jim.

I worked in ESC Welding lab from 1964 until 1967 mostly working on Submerged Arc Cladding  & went up to Lab area in Foundry quite a lot. In October 1967 went to work at Bisra Hoyle street  then Teesside Labs from 1976.  Maybe we know each other?

John Moore

Edited by johnpm

Hi John , just a bit before my time , but i quite a bit of work with submerged arc weldind at Swinden Labs , and the Sarclad roll reclemation set up at Brightside from around 1971. Alan Edwards , Derek Crossland might be names you know .