Bars in Sheffield

em16uk

Originally posted by Classic Rock

You are legally allowed to enter a bar on your own from the age of 14 as long as you only purchase a soft drink. I learned this when studying towards my national licencees certificate. It's then up to the house if they choose to admit under 18s.

We let under 18s (over 14s) in but do not serve them alcohol....they are often in a band or a friend of the band or a relative of the band playing.

you're allowed a alcoholic drink with your meal when you are 16.

I always thought it was 14 you were allowed in a pub with an adult... I knew nothing about being able to get served soft drinks at the bar or drinking at the age of 16...

Have i lead a sheltered life...

Originally posted by ianmitchell

you're allowed a alcoholic drink with your meal when you are 16.

Please explain how that works, you have to be 18 to drink alcohol in bars but if you have a meal you can get a drink at 16 ?? :help:

The rules get a bit complicated, and I'm very fuzzy on it, but its something like cider, porter at 16, with an adult and a meal.

At the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to find a licensee who would risk the aggro though.

It's been a while since I did my licensing course, but you can go into a pub, but not the "bar" (room in which the bar is) when you're 14 with a parent. you can drink of cider, wine or porter(?) at 16 but only if you're having a meal. You can actually be accompanied by a parent when you're as young as 5 if I remember rightly, so as long as you're not in the "bar" you can buy a 5yo a drink!

This doesn't apply everywhere though, because some pubs have conditions on their licenses which restrict anyone under 18 being on the premises.

Originally posted by Deejay

Please explain how that works, you have to be 18 to drink alcohol in bars but if you have a meal you can get a drink at 16 ?? :help:

At the age of 16 with your meal (I mean a proper meal, e.g. sunday roast) you are allowed one drink.

I think it may be cause when you are having a meal the alcohol won't affect the "innocent" 16 year old's thinking.

Archived