85 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your ISP

• BT Openworld/Broadband/Internet
    • Freeserve
    • AOL
    • Pipex
    • Cable Provider
    • Other (please state)

We use BT Broadband and have one of their business accounts - fixed IP address and (hopefully) lower contention, though that's not yet an issue.

Had good service from them. I pay about #30 a month connection charge and #10 for the fixed IP address.

I appreciate that this is over the going rate but it was about all that was available a couple of years ago when we first got it installed. I don't ind payng over the odds for reliability - I thinkin the last couple of years I've had about 8 hours downtime, and most of that was planned.

The BT provided mode's a heap of crap, though.

Joe

Blueyonder 1mb - and very happy. I'd go 2Mb (now 3Mb with the +50% deal) but I'd want more upload bandwidth too for the [legal] uploading I do to justify the cost

other ISP's i've had direct and indirect experience with:

AOL - beware - they are notoious for acknowledging your request to disconnect the service, but "forget" to stop taking payment. Automatic addition to member directory means easy spam email address harvesting despite their claims to stop spam, also non pop3 standard mail means an inability to use AOLmail with normal email client software. Poorly set up with default option to automatically extract compressed files upon download, increasing virus risk (I assume they'd rather have that, than have tech support calls from customers who don't know how to unzip a compressed archive)

Freeserve dial-up - notorious for their dialler software connecting to a non-freephone number without warning, even if you're paying for unlimited connection time.

Supanet - dial-up. Not bad, does what it says on the tin. Only complaint is that it seems very easy for spammers to harvest supanet email addresses.

Wannado - nobody in Sheffield should even consider taking up their service, just because of the manner that they cast away call centre staff (am I glad I never took that job!!)

Archived