Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Surely then its an offence to park on the pavement, if so why arent these "police officers" doing something about it, oh i forgot its only some daft woman with a pram :rant::rant:

It's an offence to drive on the pavement, or to cause an obstruction.

If the pavement is wide enough and the road narrow then it's probably just good sense to park half way off the road.

It's an offence to drive on the pavement, or to cause an obstruction.

If the pavement is wide enough and the road narrow then it's probably just good sense to park half way off the road.

If a vehicle is parked on the pavement somebody will have driven it there and therefore committed an offence ??

If a vehicle is parked on the pavement somebody will have driven it there and therefore committed an offence ??

Technically yes I believe so.

There are areas where it's perfectly normal to park half on the pavement, and anyone not doing so would be frowned upon. Generally these places have pavements wide enough to accommodate this though.

I think that there is a division of enforcement responsibility, here.

This may not be 100% accurate, but:

The offences of driving over a kerb and parking on the pavement/verge are (maybe) against local traffic regulations/byelaws and are now the responsibility of the Council and their Parking Enforcement Officers.

Obstruction is enforceable by the police.

I am not actually sure if Sheffield Council have actually enacted the legislation with regard to parking on verges.

I have often heard an excuse for non-enforcement involving the need for a sign for each individual verge.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that a growing tendency of car drivers believe that they have the right to use part of the pavement when parking their car.

This can and does obstruct those who are confined to a wheelchair from using that section of pavement. It obstruct those pushing young children in prams, and can be a means of inflicting injury to pedestrians who catch the cars wing mirror.

What is the legal position on this type of parking? and does the cars third party insurance cover those who are injuryed by a wing mirror?

in actual fact all the drivers that do this can recieve a fixed penalty for obstruction. and yes you can claim for any injury that you can prove the car as caused.and if in fact they were parked on the pavement the driver would not have any defence to the claim

It appears that a growing tendency of car drivers believe that they have the right to use part of the pavement when parking their car.

This can and does obstruct those who are confined to a wheelchair from using that section of pavement. It obstruct those pushing young children in prams, and can be a means of inflicting injury to pedestrians who catch the cars wing mirror.

What is the legal position on this type of parking? and does the cars third party insurance cover those who are injuryed by a wing mirror?

In some cases the pavement is wide enough to both allow more room for passing cars and also people on the pavement. Where people cant pass on the pavement with prams or in disabled vehicals permitted to use the pavement then the driver is wrong and should be more thoughtful. As to the law and insurance I'm not too sure, but taking your example, if people can avoid falling off the curb and missing signs, lamp posts and post boxes I think they can miss a wing mirror.

Good or considerate parking is pretty much a thing of the past. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry these days, they abandon there vehicle without much thought as to wether it might be causing an obstruction or double parking I bet most of todays young drivers don't even know the meaning of double parking). And what about pulling up at night on the wrong side of the road, and waiting with headlights on blinding everyone comoing toward them.

Oh well, that's my little rant over, I feel better now.