Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

It's the police's concern not the council's.

My partner once complained about a van obstructing the pavement where she worked. The police told her they do not consider it an offence but that driving on the pavement is. She then told them that the driver would have had to drive on the pavement in order to park which they hadn't considered. They promised that next time a patrol car was in the area they would 'have a word' and sure enough the van was not seen again.

My advice is to talk to your local community policeman.

Originally posted by max

It's the police's concern not the council's.

Not sure about that, parking enforcement transferred to the council on 4 April this year...

...obstruction though, that might still be with the police I suppose...

...anybody know for sure?

:confused:

I am no expert but always assumed 'an obstruction on the public highway or public footpath/right of way' was the police (high risk) and council (general/low risk)!!!

An element of common sense here.....!!

You wouldn't call out the police if you discovered a pot hole/tree root or a badly parked vehicle but you would if a lorry was losing it's load along the M1 or your neighbour starting digging up the front of your house to mark out his own parking bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Originally posted by Briano

Causing an obstruction to what, a van parking on the pavement!? :loopy:

No lol to pedestrians, if the van is causing an obstuction then the council should deal with it, putting your own obstuction in place to stop the van isn't right either. 2 wrongs don't make a right etc etc

I took this quote from a site about abandoned vehicles

The police also have the power to immediately remove any vehicle which is left in breach of local traffic regulation orders, or is causing an obstruction or is likely to cause a danger

which you can read here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/HomeAndCommunity/Householders/LocalEnvironment/GreenIssues/GreenIssuesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001703&chk=NF0cGN

taken from:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/HomeAndCommunity/Householders/YourCommunity/SafeCommunities/SafeCommunitiesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001652&chk=u0dayM

hope it's a bit of help? :confused: Good luck:thumbsup:

There's a street near me where everybody parks half on/half off the kerb, and the whole street got ticketed one weekend.

It is an offence to park on the pavement.

And it sounds like the council intend to get tough over such problems soon. There's ads on the radio ;):clap:

The council now deal with people parking on lines (single/double yellow ones, etc). The police will deal with obstructions.

But be aware, he can continue to park outside your house (albeit not on the pavement). If he pays road tax, he can park where ever he chooses, providing it isn't illegally, just as you can.

• 11 months later...

This is a nightmare situation - I totally sympathise - we have a grassy bank in front of us and our neighbours drive over it all the time which has churned it into a mud bath...the council won't do a thing.

There are also about 6 people working for Ford Windows who have those massive white vans on Smalldale Road at Frecheville - the reason it annoys me so much is because they don't ever park the huge things in front of their own houses or even leave them at work which would be nice and sensible- they park in front of my mother-in-laws. It is disgraceful. But why complain? Nobody ever does anything about it.