Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Well, I part with two wheels on the pavement outside my house, as do most of my neighbours. If we didn't, nothing larger than a small car would be able to get through. No ambulances, no fire engines, no post vans. I always leave room for people to get past my car. People need to get a grip.

My bold

I think you'll find that people are complaining because a lot of drivers don't leave enough room for anything larger than Posh Spice to get past!

My bold

I think you'll find that people are complaining because a lot of drivers don't leave enough room for anything larger than Posh Spice to get past!

Well, luckily the pavements are quite wide where I live. Really, the answer is fewer cars!

Got to admit i have done it but it is against the Highway code.

Quote Highway code section 244

"You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs."

So you 'pays your money and you take your chance'

Wheelchair users do find badly parked vehicles a pain and unlike able bodied people who can walk round they often can't as most pavements have stepped kerbs.

Visually impaired people don't like it either as a car that could be there one day and not the next is just an obstacle to wwalk into. Also some visually impaired people who use a cane like to follow the kerb edge tapping with their cane as they go.

I know a few frail people who can lose their balance if they were unfortunate enough to collide with a wing mirror.

I have noticed an increase in the 'inconsiderate' drivers who thoughtlessly block off most of the pavement and unfortunately have not heard of any of them getting a fine or penalty.

I wonder how many drivers think "Hmmm, this road's a bit narrow, my wing mirrors might get knocked so I'll pull up on the pavement to be safe!". But then they find that the other wing mirror has been knocked and they've got scratches when they get back to the car because the real risk was NOT passing vehicles but in them leaving not enough room for a pedestrian to get past?

Many people have really poor spatial awareness and think their cars will get bumped so that's why they do the pavement parking thing - bit silly as they're more likely to get damage from a pedestrian! People who live in our area are used to the narrow streets and don't 'pavement park' but you see it all the time with football parking, so they've obviously not got any awareness of how wide the road really is.

It's amazing how this topic (which was done just a few weeks ago) brings out the malicious and petty criminality in people who believe that two wrongs make a right...

I think the problem is selfishness in people these days. You can ask nicely and it gets nowhere, so the next best thing is to hit them where it hurts - their wallet.

I've bent a few wing mirrors back with my daughter's pram in the past and don't feel bad about it. Cars should be on the road. If it's not safe to leave the car fully on the road, leave it elsewhere.

I think the problem is selfishness in people these days. You can ask nicely and it gets nowhere, so the next best thing is to hit them where it hurts - their wallet.

I've bent a few wing mirrors back with my daughter's pram in the past and don't feel bad about it. Cars should be on the road. If it's not safe to leave the car fully on the road, leave it elsewhere.

If it was accidently then fair enough - any view I have on this allows for common sense, and I would leave what I think is enough room on the pavement for prams and those electric buggy things but I will still mount the kerb to allow for parking in a situation that would otherwise block the road, if there is no easy parking nearby (and I don't have to leave only a few inches of pavement space of couse)....

How can you damage someones property and not "feel bad about it" ?

Take a look at your own opening sentence........... :huh: