Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Nope - because you'll find that the contractor has a liability to provide a coned and fenced off section around the obstruction.

but you'll still have to walk on the road. what if they forget their cones and fences.

i've got bt in front of my house now('cos the paving guy has hit the neighbours phonelines) - no fence, then again the paving contractor hasn't got any fencing up either to direct you around his skip.

Not necessarily. I'm not going to risk mine and my daughter's lives by walking on the road to get round the car. I will use the pavement since it was created for my use. If the pram hits the car or part of it, that's not my problem.

It most certainly is if you don't take reasonable care.

Maybe you'll get caught on CCTV on day and can argue in court whether it was your fault or not.

• 2 months later...

Now then I know there is already a lot of controversy about this parking extortion being wrought upon us by those hideous communist relics AKA Sheffield Council. . .

BUT one thing that worries me the most, is that they plan to fine people who are parked on the pavement. Well sometimes it isn't appropriate, but in many many roads in Sheffield, all cars have to park with 2 wheels up on the kerb, to make it possible for others to drive past safely, and also there is no question of blocking the pavement, there is usually ample room for pedestrians. So is there any clarification available, or is it up to the Big Brother with his cameras and the single - cell amoebas known as the parking enforcement, driving their fiesta van around, to decide what is appropriate ???

Dear Dave, every local authority extorts as much revenue as it can from motorists. The amoebas enforce bye-laws. It's their job. Pavements are for people. Have you ever tried pushing a buggy down a street where motorists are parked all over the pavement? There are places where it is ok to park half on the pavement. In some areas they are marked out. There has been a law in London for donks allowing motorists to be fined for doing this.

So is there any clarification available, or is it up to the Big Brother with his cameras and the single - cell amoebas known as the parking enforcement, driving their fiesta van around, to decide what is appropriate ???

Clarification's unnecessary - the law is what it always was. You're not allowed to park on the pavement. End of discussion.

Well hundreds and hundreds of people who live in and around Sheffield are going to get fined then, because there is no other way to park and no where else available to park, except with 2 wheels on the pavement, it has been this way for as long as I can remember. This does not inhibit the use of the pavement even with prams, wheelchairs etc, ( at least not where I live or places I can think of) so what will now happen ?