Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Clarification's unnecessary - the law is what it always was. You're not allowed to park on the pavement. End of discussion.

Agreed that to the letter of the law, pavememnts are for pedestrians.

"End of discussion" it needn't be however as there are areas where parking on the road is allowed, but if cars were not at least partly on the pavement, the flow of traffic would be severely impeded.

Now don't get me wrong, I HATE selfish parking on a pavement and if I can't get past just me, walking, without shuffling and squeezing by, then I make sure my bag with it's zips is towards the car (I'd hate to damage my bag by scuffing it along a wall!!)

But, if automated fines are to be issued, then discretion (parked so as to allow traffic to flow but a wheelchair to pass easily, for instance) goes out of the window.

So what is valid for discussion is how the problems of strict black-and-white ruling by computer, can be minimised.

Magneteer, I think you are exactly right, if cars are parked either side of most roads, and do not encroach in some small part on to the pavement with two wheels, then there will not be space to pass with a Fire engine, bin lorry, removal truck, furniture van, riot van ( in the case of Parson Cross ) or any other large vehicle

Well, an invitation !!

Drive up Heeley on 1st March at around 2.30 pm

You'll not get along the main road due to inconsiderate car drivers parking on the pavement both sides. Buses regularly get stuck, mothers cannot get up and down the paths with push chairs.

All round it's a real nightmare due to inconsiderate parking.

DancingDave I am with you on this one.

In an ideal situation cars should not park on the grass/pavement but we do not have this ideal situation in Sheffield.

I know it ruins the grass and some moronic motorist just leave no room for pedestrians to pass, but as you say too many roads in Sheffield are just too narrow.

Now if the powers that be were to pull it out and bring about a sensible solution for transport, more trams or wider roads, some where to park then we might get somewhere.

Councillor Barton says she has been on about stopping cars parking on grass for donkeys years, well why has she not thought about tarmacing over these grassy/muddy areas, putting in sensible drainage to avoid another flood. why do we need bits of grass in narrow streets anyway? Is sheffield a village or a city?

Well, an invitation !!

Drive up Heeley on 1st March at around 2.30 pm

You'll not get along the main road due to inconsiderate car drivers parking on the pavement both sides. Buses regularly get stuck, mothers cannot get up and down the paths with push chairs.

All round it's a real nightmare due to inconsiderate parking.

The parking you are talking about is inconsiderate selfish parking nd quite different to what the OP is talking about, which is considerate parking leaving both road and pavement obstructed to a minimum but technically ilegal.

Agreed that to the letter of the law, pavememnts are for pedestrians.

"End of discussion" it needn't be however as there are areas where parking on the road is allowed, but if cars were not at least partly on the pavement, the flow of traffic would be severely impeded.

In which case, whoever parked there is guilty of obstruction - also an offence.

If the road's not big enough to park without causing a blockage, you may not park on it. No matter how much you want to.

Pedantry of the highest order.

What constitutes a blockage?

Should cars be able to pass each other, even on residential streets? Is the fact that on pretty much ANY residential street, two cars can not pass without one pulling into a gap.

Now if that is OK, then it's OK to do on some busy minor roads (where currently the pavement is part-used SENSIBLY as a happy medium) Thus causing chaos.

If that is NOT OK then why was the issue not addressed much earlier when we were so proud of the development of a "great car economy"?

And Heyesay, if you are to quote me, please don't do a Sun Journo trick and quote half the post to distort the fact that I was suggesting that alternatives should be looked at to cater for cars and pedestrians in certain areas.

When the Owls are at home how else could people park without using pavements ? This parking has gone on for donkeys years. Does the police object to it at all on any safety grounds? If they do I would like to see the evidence?

Different again. Matchday parking is more of a "luxury" than parking within a reasonable distance of one's home daily. If you have to walk or bus it a couple of miles to the football, tough. Can't expect people to have a couple of miles hike every time they need to get to their car

A lot of people go on the pavement when there's no need, like on our street, people who live here never park on the kerb, but visitors do. The road is effectively single track because of the cars on both sides but it doesn't stop anything getting through as there are gaps to pull into and allow other drivers through. But still, no need to be on the pavement at all.

The places it affects most are roads on estates - where most people also have front gardens they could turn into drives. I suspect the council will simply whack double yellows down on roads like that so residents will just have to fork out for dropped kerbs.

However come to Heeley on a match day and try to get past city farm on the pavement. You can't. I'll never forget the day I saw a woman with a pram walking down the carriageway with an ever growing queue of cars creeping along behind her, poor woman had no choice as there aren't even any gaps left where drivers can pull in to let others past - on a major road! Madness.

Again, Mathom, I think matchday parking and the provision thereof; is a different matter to the provision of adequate (or as adequate as can be) resedential parking.

Clamp down severely on that sort of parking by all means - and briefly on the topic of football parking, perhaps provide a park and ride to the football grounds? It works in Hull where there is also the luxury of a massive car park and no parking difficulty whether a capacity crowd or not. So why can it not work in Sheffield?