Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

And Heyesay, if you are to quote me, please don't do a Sun Journo trick and quote half the post to distort the fact that I was suggesting that alternatives should be looked at to cater for cars and pedestrians in certain areas.

Now if you ever learnt to read intelligently, you'd know that I was responding only to the first half, and not to your suggestion that alternatives should be looked at. Hence, quoting the second half would have been pointless and wasted thread space. Just as your reply has done.

Now if you ever learnt to read intelligently, you'd know that I was responding only to the first half, and not to your suggestion that alternatives should be looked at. Hence, quoting the second half would have been pointless and wasted thread space. Just as your reply has done.

No answer to the question posed I see. AND no contribution to ways of resolving the issue to benefit all as much as possible other than to say "but you can't because it's naughty". Wasted thread space? Now in THAT, you do have a point. And in order not to waste any more, to quote you "End of discusion" on the matter of your replies

It is not parking with two wheels on the pavement where we live, It is four wheels on the pavement and pedestrians have to step out onto the road to get past.

Here's the thing though

Now then I know there is already a lot of controversy about this parking extortion being wrought upon us by those hideous communist relics AKA Sheffield Council. . .

BUT one thing that worries me the most, is that they plan to fine people who are parked on the pavement. Well sometimes it isn't appropriate, but in many many roads in Sheffield, all cars have to park with 2 wheels up on the kerb, to make it possible for others to drive past safely, and also there is no question of blocking the pavement, there is usually ample room for pedestrians. So is there any clarification available, or is it up to the Big Brother with his cameras and the single - cell amoebas known as the parking enforcement, driving their fiesta van around, to decide what is appropriate ???

The OP is clealy talking about considered parking using part of the pavement and suggesting whether it should be treated differently to blocking the pavement.

Again, Mathom, I think matchday parking and the provision thereof; is a different matter to the provision of adequate (or as adequate as can be) resedential parking.

Clamp down severely on that sort of parking by all means - and briefly on the topic of football parking, perhaps provide a park and ride to the football grounds? It works in Hull where there is also the luxury of a massive car park and no parking difficulty whether a capacity crowd or not. So why can it not work in Sheffield?

There is already a pretty good informal park and ride for Bramall Lane in that it's 10 minutes' walk from the station, tram and interchange and has at least six bus routes passing by. But no, people still feel they have to park on our pavements...And they had a car park but decided to build an unwanted hotel on it.

Hence my encouragement for clamping down.

I was more thinking of a better park and ride system away from the city centre. Not everyone can get a train (and it can be prohibitively expensive - AND intimidating unfortunately, on some football trains)

And there will be quite a few fans who don't live in a Sheffield local bus service area - not al home fans still live in their "home" city

And yet the ground is minutes away from loads of pay car parks. I think it's more down to people not wanting to shell out than to them not having alternative transport ;) So the answer is heavy fines on those who do park in silly places - much more expensive than a couple of quid to park on the rec ;)

Take our house. A 3 bed mid semi in Hillsborough. My missus works in Rotherham and I work in Doncaster so we have 2 cars.

We live in a house built over 110 years ago so there was no provision made for the level of parking requirement which is needed today. The city wants people like us who earn a goodly sum, don't drain regional resources and just keep on chucking cash into our community.

So whose fault is it? We who are encouraged to move to an area or the council's for imposing an unfair level of penalisation, not providing adequate parking commensurate with the area's population or trying to make an easy quid from the inadequacies of the elected council?

If city living carries on getting so restrictive I'm off to the country ....... and I'll be taking my coveted purse with me.