Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

I've stated previously that a little bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go amiss. The police and council parking services are seemingly responsible for dealing with seperate parking issues, I think they should both be able to issue tickets/fines if there is a parking issue.

The police supposedly are only going to take note of a vehicle parked on a pavement if it is causing an obstruction which in their mind seems to mean if you can't get past with a pushchair. I can think of several rresidential roads where the pavement is impassable but I suspect that unless a complaint is made then no-one is going to be fined and nothing will happen. .

A friend of mine lives in a terrace on a busy road in the Halifax area. She and her neighbours have always parked partly on the pavement, as there is no other choice. The pavement is very wide, so there's no issue with obstructing prams etc.

Out of the blue one day, a Jobsworth plod turned up and ticketed all the cars claiming they were causing obstructions. They had no choice but to pay up, but immediately went back to parking on the pavement again, as there was no offroad parking available.

Seems that there is no consistency in how this is dealt with. I've not heard of anyone getting ticketed in Sheffield, but then the whole city would grind to a halt if everyone tried to park fully on the road.

No-one has the 'right' to park on the road, but though many do. Even more so, no-one has the right to park on the pavement. Except in unusual circumstances, both road/pavement are legally owned by the Local Highway Authority (which, in metropolitan counties like South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, means the District Council).

Take a look at the Highway Code, in particular section 218.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.htm#218

The Highway Code (2007) online is now at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/index.htm.

Waiting/parking are covered by what are now paragraphs 238-252. Paragraph 244 says this:

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London**, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

Although the Code itself is not law, it can be taken into account in Court proceedings.

** This paragraph is moreover reflective of s.15 of the Greater London (General Powers) Act 1974 [Greater London only, of course].

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

My son was told that it is illegal to park on the pavement, especially if it is near a door or window as it causes obstruction to getting out of the house in case of a fire. It was actually the local police officer who told him to move it before he gave him a fine. It's up to you how you deal with it.

There is a medical practice with no patient parking at the bottom of our road, it has been known that patients using the surgery have parked on people' s private drives, blocking drives is common place.

Folk living in terraced houses do not have any special parking rights, however constant complaints about part pavement parking should bring action from the authorities. Does your neighbour park his van infront of your house and a car in front of his?

• 1 year later...

I'm sure this has come up before, but I was driving up City Road at 5.00 this evening, when the car in front swerved to the left and parked with all 4 wheels on the pavement, completely blocking it off. As I drove past, I saw several other cars, also parked on the pavement and wondered why these people would have such selfish, arrogant contempt for pedestrians, especially mothers pushing baby carriages and prams who would be forced onto this busy road at such a busy time. Whatever the penalties are for this, they clearly aren't enough and aren't working.