Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

I've posted on here before about people parking on the grass verge outside my house.

We live opposite a school with houses on only 1 side of the road, which means there is plenty of room for cars to park on the road and room for any vehicle to pass.

But everyone seems to feel the need to park with two wheels on the road and two on the verge.

The verges are now destroyed and are like a quagmire. Not nice when we want to get into the car in the rain.

But of course nobody's bothered. We were told nobody is going to fix them and if we do it ourselves we could be prosecuted.

In the end it seems that we will have to fork out £400 to have our kerb dropped and a drive fitted.

Really i'd says common sense tells you

Road = Vehicle right of way

Pavement = Pedestrian right of way

Cars shouldnt park on pavement unless it leaves enough room for a double buggy to pass & People shouldnt really walk on the Road as its for Vehicles.

I could not agree more.

But in response to the comment by beansforyou saying that "pedestrians always have the right of way, what with them being human beings."

I actually have no problem with pedestrians seeking out the safest way to get down a road but step aside occasionally to let cars pass. I wish people would remember that those driving the cars are human beings too - they are simply using technology to get somewhere faster. It doesn't mean they should be sidelined any more than the pedestrians.

I agree with every word you've said. On the corner of Holme Lane & Middlewood Rd, at Hillsborough shopping centre there is a takeaway pizzeria. The delivery people arrive in cars, mount the pavement and park with all 4 wheels on the pavement, as you've described. They then stay there until the orders are ready & then drive off, often doing a u-turn across the tram tracks & back up Holme Lane.

A couple of weeks ago, one of these drivers drove right up behind me with 2 wheels on the kerb as I was walking along the pavement. Then pulled in front of me & stopped dead, completely blocking the pavement. As he got out I pointed out to him that he'd almost hit me & then forced me into the road. He shrugged & said "Don't make a fuss" as he walked into the pizzeria.

I don't know what the penalties are, but these drivers are worth reporting to the police.

If this guy was driving a red corsa type car then dont worry.

A little bird tells me he got all his tires slashed recently after having a go at a pedestrian who had to walk into the road with a pram just to get past him.

i was walking to work last saturday morning,and quite a few cars were parked on the pavement on our avenue, i walked around one car to get past causing me to walk on someones drive that has been done in that printed concrete design that is as slippy as f**k,down i went on my side trapping my arm & elbow between the pavement and my ribs ! ouch, trip to the A&E result = very badly bruised rib cage = 3-4 weeks of constant pain. i know its just an unfortunate accident,but the pain i can do without

The lack of close & convenient parking deters some people from using some of those shops. I'm sure it's a very nice sandwich shop, but I've never been in, they're always blocked in by a crossing, bus stop, the tram & other people illegally parked on the pavement.

You can park all along Wulfric Road that is 20 yards away from the sandwich shop.

Really i'd says common sense tells you

Road = Vehicle right of wayPavement = Pedestrian right of way

Cars shouldnt park on pavement unless it leaves enough room for a double buggy to pass & People shouldnt really walk on the Road as its for Vehicles.

Re bib. It might seem like common sense, but it’s not true. It’s more a case of size wins, not a RIGHT of way.

I could not agree more.

But in response to the comment by beansforyou saying that "pedestrians always have the right of way, what with them being human beings."

I actually have no problem with pedestrians seeking out the safest way to get down a road but step aside occasionally to let cars pass. I wish people would remember that those driving the cars are human beings too - they are simply using technology to get somewhere faster. It doesn't mean they should be sidelined any more than the pedestrians.

I agree with this. When it was really snowy/icy, all the roads near us were fine but the pavements were death traps. I think pedestrians should walk on the road to avoid injury, but some people get the wrong idea...

My OH was stuck in a queue of 7-8 cars who were stuck behind a woman who wasn't walking to the side of the road, she was in the middle of the road, kept glancing back as if checking to make sure she's holding more cars up and didn't step to the side... Couldn't overtake as traffic was bad on the other side. People should definitely do what is safest, but as said can cause massive problems if they are ignorant and/or pigheaded!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Now the summer holidays are close we all want our kids to be safe on the roads but hazards are close with lazy neighbours parking cars on pavements closing down visibility. Selfishness, Apathy & Ignorance rules. You can get more info at

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/make-a-change/urgent-actions/pavement-parking

Edited by SportsTrophy