Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Utterly stupid thinking, how many fire engines go up your road every day? do you pull your wing mirrors in? Fire engines will have no problem moving your vehicle out of its way. I am not impressed with people who think they own the path and the road outside their house.

Eh? What if the emergency services have to drive down a road to save someones life and they can't get past, or they're delayed because of the time it takes to move the vehicles, and the person dies?

you dont have a right to park outside your own house. as i understand it you can obstruct even parking on a road. park somewhere safe. families now own more than 1 car. there just isnt the room . people with disabillities often dont have a choice. they cant all stay in so that you can park your car.

not trying to argue with anyone ,just saying try and think before parking.

if i tried to squeeze past and scratched your car,you would obviously not be pleased.

hope it starts a discussion.

I'm not saying anyone has a right to park outside there home, what I'm saying is that on some roads it is safer to park a bit on the kerb providing you don't do it over a dropped kerb and leave enough space for a push chair or wheelchair to get past.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 01:12 ----------

Lets hope it gets through, I'm a carer and I often have push the wheelchair on to the road to get past numerous cars.

If I accidentally knocked a wing mirror off trying to squeeze by because of heavy traffic would I be liable to replace it?

Unfortunately yes you would as the damage is caused by you regardless of how the car us parked.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 01:15 ----------

Utterly stupid thinking, how many fire engines go up your road every day? do you pull your wing mirrors in? Fire engines will have no problem moving your vehicle out of its way. I am not impressed with people who think they own the path and the road outside their house.

What is quick and convenient for you is not quick and convenient for others. I am starting up a weight lifting competition where there are at least 10 parked cars on the pavement the competition is to lift the cars off the pavement and onto their sides or roll over as quickly as possible. Coming to your road soon.

I have a drive with room for 5 cars so I don't need to park on the pavement outside my own house thank you very much. :D

Eh? What if the emergency services have to drive down a road to save someones life and they can't get past, or they're delayed because of the time it takes to move the vehicles, and the person dies?

I was told by a fire officer, in relation to certain obstacles in the way (closed gates, barriers, cars etc.), that a fire engine "WILL get through" in an emergency - they will simply drive carry on driving and push it out of the way.

There are a couple of places where pavement parking really gets my goat.

The first is at the top end of Greenhill Avenue alongside the traffic triangle with the B6054. Someone there regularly parks several cars completely on the pavement making folk with prams have to push them in the main road on a major road junction.

The other is the top section of Whirlodale Road. The houses up there are massive and most have ample parking for 5 or 6 cars. The pavement is seperated from the road by a 10 foot wide grass verge and yet loads of folk stick their cars slap bang in the middle of the pavement. Why, and how do they get away with it?

As can be seen from this image, parking on the pavement is sometime necessary, it also makes life so much easier for pedestrians.

Yes, there are natural exemptions for emergency vehicles

• treating a red traffic light as a give way sign
  • passing to the right of a keep left or keep right sign (but not disobeying a turn left, turn right, or ahead only sign)
  • driving on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)
  • exceeding the statutory speed limit (police, fire and ambulance purposes only; and special forces purposes only for national security emergencies where the driver is trained or is being trained in high-speed driving)
  • driving in a bus lane
  • stopping on zig-zag lines
  • parking in restricted areas, including against flow of traffic at night
  • leaving the vehicle with the engine running, normally the offence of "quitting" (police and ambulance utilising the run lock feature on most cars)
  • using audible warnings outside permitted hours[9]
  • driving against the flow of traffic on a one-way street, only with permission of a police officer or traffic warden

Edited by SportsTrophy

Yes, there are natural exemptions for emergency vehicles

• treating a red traffic light as a give way sign
  • passing to the right of a keep left or keep right sign (but not disobeying a turn left, turn right, or ahead only sign)
  • driving on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)
  • exceeding the statutory speed limit (police, fire and ambulance purposes only; and special forces purposes only for national security emergencies where the driver is trained or is being trained in high-speed driving)
  • driving in a bus lane
  • stopping on zig-zag lines
  • parking in restricted areas, including against flow of traffic at night
  • leaving the vehicle with the engine running, normally the offence of "quitting" (police and ambulance utilising the run lock feature on most cars)
  • using audible warnings outside permitted hours[9]
  • driving against the flow of traffic on a one-way street, only with permission of a police officer or traffic warden

Completely blocking a pavement and forcing pedestrians to walk in the road isn't on the list, in the photos I posted they should have parked on the double yellow lines, not on the pavement but only if they were on an emergency call out, and in both cases they were not and the officers were forced to appolagise to the member of public that complained and took the pictures.