Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Cars parked on pavements should be towed ,no exceptions

Cars crushed and car owners made to pay for cost of crushing their own cars (+) a £1500 premium

So £300 crushing costs (+) £1500 premium (=) thought provoking

I have just read in the newspaper that Ministers are considering a total ban to parking on the pavement. How good this would be for Wheelchair users,disabled people and Mothers with prams. Lets hope they do it. i

As much as it needs to, a total ban won't go through. Many of our residential streets are too narrow for it to work. Emergency services wouldn't get through.

In these circumstances I don't see an issue with a partial park on the pavement however provisions in as far as leaving sufficient room for pushchairs/wheelchairs should be made and that should become part of any ban.

There are many areas where councils have painted parking bays that partly encroach the pavement. It seems to work in these areas.

All 4 wheels on the pavement however should be a large fine AND points.

I firmly believe adding points for ridiculously poor/illegal parking would see an overnight drop in such offences.

"Why did you lose your licence?"

"I can't park properly"

As much as it needs to, a total ban won't go through. Many of our residential streets are too narrow for it to work. Emergency services wouldn't get through.

Is there a total ban in London, I presume they also have quite narrow streets?

Even if its 2 wheels on the pavement it looks like fines are on the cards

What do you think?

I personally never park on the pavement so I won't be fined, I just park my car in my double garage which has an electric door that opens automatically.

So if you want a car why not buy a house with a garage?

Not rocket science

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/662037/Pavement-parking-ban-fine

because housing is expensive and a lot of people simply cannot afford such a house? Of course they still need a car.

London has a 1st class public transport system, so you are less likely to require a car plus London streets are much wider than many you find in Sheffield.

I agree with the first part, not sure about the second, London is certainly flatter so corners maybe tighter in Sheffield but ive also been down some very narrow streets in London. Those streets seem to have parking on just one side, whereas Sheffield would have pavement parking on both sides.

---------- Post added 20-04-2016 at 13:02 ----------

Well it becomes one when you make suggestions such as "why can't everyone buy a large house with offroad parking to solve the problem?"

There are usually a variety of house types / locations within a certain price bracket.

If you want 2 cars maybe a terraced street isn't the answer?

Edited by the fonz