Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

When I am out on my mobility scooter and the thoughtless drivers block the pavement I bang on the vehicle and tel them to F shift it or Phone 101. Thinking about getting adhesive stickers made to stick across the window on the drivers side. They will soon get the idea when they have to scrape it off and the time it takes,

And open you up to being charged with criminal damage. Someone glued one of those fake PCN stickers on my car as I was parked where she wanted to park. She lived on the next road but her road is permit only and she wasn't allowed permits for 4 work vans that she owned.

Unfortunately for her my on-board dashcam had activated and caught her in the act. Charged, convicted and made to pay me £150 (costs of replacing windscreen & time off work). She was also ordered not to park her vehicles on our road or she'd be hit with anti-social charges.

Public transport.

Fine if you have the time to spare.

I have a relative who needs to go from one side of sheffield to the other for hospital treatment/appointments.

He is in his 80,s gave up his car years ago.

It takes him one and a half hours with a couple of changes.

How much would a taxi cost each way?

Which is fine. The trick is to persuade as many people as possible to look beyond owning a car (or multiple cars). One way is to make public transport cheap and efficient. I’d guess that most people will make a decision based on cost and convenience.

For example, I’ve currently got two cars. I probably only need one. Both are parked on the road for the sake of convenience, despite the fact that I have a drive and a garage. I can think of several ways that I might be persuaded to park off road and maybe sell one car.

How about I bash your windscreen in everytime you dont use your drive????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:D

How about I bash your windscreen in everytime you dont use your drive????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Come on then big man.

In my defence, you can get two double deckers in between the lines of parked cars on our road. With a bit to spare.

Come on then big man.

In my defence, you can get two double deckers in between the lines of parked cars on our road. With a bit to spare.

It's very much road dependent. If your neighbours are cool and you all work out amongst yourselves everything is fine.

Narrow streets and narrower pavements don't help, neither do cars getting bigger every time a model is upgraded.

I think across the country it's about 2/3rds own or have access to.

Of course car ownership is relatively low in London and much higher in rural areas, I'd expect Sheffield to be 70%+.

Near enough.

Data from 2011 Census:

Sheffield ranked 301st in 348 English Local Authorities with 405 cars per 1000 people.

Max-694

Min-170

Average-520

67% of Households had a car or van.

Max-92%

Min-0.8%

Average-76%

https://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/car%20ownership%20rates%20by%20local%20authority%20-%20december%202012.pdf

If you painted one side of all the terraced streets in Sheffield with double yellows then half the residents would be forced to give up their cars, or get a ticket every evening. Parking would simply be impossible with half the spaces suddenly no longer available.

Parking permits don't discourage car use, they simply make revenue for the council.

Car sharing doesn't discourage car use, nor is there any real way for the council to encourage it.

Better public transport isn't really under council control either, although there they do at least have some influence.

And this entire suggestion is because of people parking half onto the pavement, in a way that has been done for 30 years around here...

Maybe a good suggestion, but how do you decide which side of the road is to have the yellow lines?

Our carry out Jeremy Corbyns local elections new policy of giving people free use of public transport :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43726983

The proposal is for under 25's to have free travel and to be subsidised from the road refurbishment budget. May be a good idea but the roads are currently in a very poor state and reducing funding for refurbishment will result in roads deteriorating further. Soon there will be no roads fit for buses to travel on.

Which is fine. The trick is to persuade as many people as possible to look beyond owning a car (or multiple cars). One way is to make public transport cheap and efficient. I’d guess that most people will make a decision based on cost and convenience.

For example, I’ve currently got two cars. I probably only need one. Both are parked on the road for the sake of convenience, despite the fact that I have a drive and a garage. I can think of several ways that I might be persuaded to park off road and maybe sell one car.

During the day if I know I'm going to be going out again I'll park on the road, effectively blocking my own drive/garage (the "drive" is basically 6ft long). There's no point in going through all the rigmarole of parking in the garage to get it out again.