Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Car owners need to be educated on how to park their cars.

Common sense does not apply to the herd mentality.

In order to protect our verges and access in and out of our driveways, the residents have successfully reduced the number of parked cars(day time commuters) and the speed at which they travel.

1. Some residents now park on the road during the day.

2. They have paid for parking and disabled bay white lines.

3. Residents with disability have registered for yellow bay markings.

This has created a very effective 'chicane'. This has also reduced the road usage as well, as it has become a less attractive rat run.

The road is now a much safer route for the pedestrians and cyclists who access the care home, two primary schools and three secondary schools.

The cost could be recouped by charging for driveway parking.

If the commuter parkers had just the common sense to park closer together on one side of the road, none of this would have been required. Also had the council not run out of money for the local traffic management scheme there would have been single yellows along one side and at the junctions.

a car is an essential part of every day life.

that's not stricly true is it.

but i know what you mean. and isn't it terrible? that we've built a city which more or less requires it's residents to spend £3500* a year on transport.

*monthly payments :

£150 loan repayments (or paying back your own savings)

£50 insurance

£15 VED

£30 maintenance (tyres, brakes, servicing, MOT, etc.)

£60 fuel

imagine the public transport system we'd have if we paid a quarter of that money towards trams/buses/cable cars/etc.

but no, car is king.

Imagine trying to get a bulky item home on public transport... No matter how much was spent on it, public transport isn't always appropriate.

If you hired a van, paid for delivery or got a mate to pick it up for you it would still cost way less than what it costs to run a car for even a week!

that's not stricly true is it.

but i know what you mean. and isn't it terrible? that we've built a city which more or less requires it's residents to spend £3500* a year on transport.

*monthly payments :

£50 insurance

£15 VED

£60 fuel

imagine the public transport system we'd have if we paid a quarter of that money towards trams/buses/cable cars/etc.

but no, car is king.

Would there be a bus at my door within a moments notice when I get a call from an ambulance crew saying my elderly mum is being taken in?

Would that bus get me from Barnsley to Rotherham hospital (her nearest) in 25 mins

Oh and this being at 11 o'clock at night?

Nope!

...public transport isn't always appropriate.

Nor is a car.

---------- Post added 29-06-2018 at 22:55 ----------

Would there be a bus at my door within a moments notice when I get a call from an ambulance crew saying my elderly mum is being taken in?

Would that bus get me from Barnsley to Rotherham hospital (her nearest) in 25 mins

Oh and this being at 11 o'clock at night?

Nope!

Hang on, we can't have better public transport because occasionally, we need to get to hospital in a hurry?

I haven't got a car. If I got a phone call right now, and had to get somewhere in a hurry, I'd get a taxi.

Maybe I've been lucky, but it's been more than 10 years since I got one of those phone calls, £30,000 buys a lot of taxi rides.

Edited by ads36

Nor is a car.

---------- Post added 29-06-2018 at 22:55 ----------

Hang on, we can't have better public transport because occasionally, we need to get to hospital in a hurry?

I haven't got a car. If I got a phone call right now, and had to get somewhere in a hurry, I'd get a taxi.

Maybe I've been lucky, but it's been more than 10 years since I got one of those phone calls, £30,000 buys a lot of taxi rides.

Not having a car and needing to wait for a taxi meant I missed saying goodbye to my dad just under 2 years ago as he passed away 35 mins after I was called by my mum to say it was time 5 mins to call and book a taxi. 20 mins waiting for it to arrive 25min journey (which I could have made in slightly less time.

Cars aren't the reason we don't have better public transport, private operators given public money and still operating for profit is the reason. The more profit they make the more they want.

Public services should NEVER be in the hands of PRIVATE FOR PROFIT companies.

If you hired a van, paid for delivery or got a mate to pick it up for you it would still cost way less than what it costs to run a car for even a week!

True. But so far I mentioned one scenario, there are plenty more.

we've built a city which more or less requires it's residents to spend £3500* a year on transport.

*monthly payments :

£50 insurance

£15 VED

£60 fuel

Your figures are rather high. I don't pay anywhere near that amount a month.