Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Wasn’t their talk last year of SCC making pavement parking illegal? 

Parking on pavements is illegal but police cant enfroce it as the city would grind to a stop in 5 mins.

Council does not any cars going in to sheff they want everbody on  buses they do not want you to even own a car refused me permission to have a double drive had a right fight to get it through.

Next phase all cars going in to town pay a toll parkway etc diesel cars first in line . They done it in London here next . On your bikes you penioners or go to Medowhall 

It clearly upsets people, I've seen a few local people remonstrating with an owner of a Large recovery truck, he frequently parks up with 4 wheels on the pavement totally blocking the pavement on a busy corner, he just laughs and the traffic wardens just walk past it so I guess it's ok.

Thankfully we have no inclination to ever own a car.

8 hours ago, master jedi said:

We all know this is not the right thing to do ,  but in some areas of Sheffield i think there is little choice.  What are peoples opinions about this given the fact it could soon become illegal as it is already in parts of London.  

I don't understand what they plan to do. Do they think it is sustainable to ticket cars every single day? It's not like people have a choice to not park on the pavement, there simply is no room to do otherwise in many areas. Do they seriously think people are going to sell their cars which they depend on to get places or suddenly win the lottery to buy a big house with off-road parking?

Edited by nightrider

My guess, any tickets handed out in-line with new laws, will at-first be limited to the city centre.

After that, for years, it'll only be expanded to known trouble-spots.

But, yes, people absolutely *do* have a choice not to park on the pavement. If you can't park properly, outside your house, park round the corner, go a bit further if necessary.

We've got a drive, sometimes we can't really use it because our neighbours have 4 cars and the angle can get a bit tricky, so then I park on the next road over. It's easy enough.

We're allowed to buy as many cars as we like. The council is under no obligation to provide us with somewhere to park them.

Edited by ads36

24 minutes ago, ads36 said:

My guess, any tickets handed out in-line with new laws, will at-first be limited to the city centre.

After that, for years, it'll only be expanded to known trouble-spots.

But, yes, people absolutely *do* have a choice not to park on the pavement. If you can't park properly, outside your house, park round the corner, go a bit further if necessary.

That is not viable when all the nearby roads are also full of parked cars. Its not just a question of go round the corner, its a question of park several miles from your house where there are not many cars. I don't even know of such a place anywhere for at least several miles from my house.

4 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

Bring in the new law as soon as possible.  Because pavement parking is binary, you're either on it or not, enforcement could be by app, with submissions receiving a % of the penalty cost, and a % to the council. 

I agree. I used to live on a cul de sac of terraced houses and many of the households with adult kids had 4 cars, The solution the majority came up with was to park bonnet on pavement, boot in road side by side. As the road was quite narrow this meant very little pavement was available to pedestrians during evenings and weekends and the gaps between cars were impassable  for prams/wheelchairs etc. Wardens said is was obstruction so police matter, police said parking issue so warden responsibility. After several months of some cars sustaining paintwork or wing mirror damage whilst neighbouring drivers were attempting to access their cars normal nose to tail parking resumed. It was quite comical to see the dash retrieve cars parked elsewhere once any space became available. Truth is many of Sheffield’s older housing stock was not built to accommodate multi car ownership and there is no God given right to be able to park one or multiple cars on the road outside your house