Langsett Cycles

PopT

New to this site. I see your posting is five years old. I was just looking to see if Langsett Cycles still manufactured their own frames but they appear to sell Dawes and the like only. I bought my last Langsett 48 years ago. It's still in perfect nick apart from a slight dent in the top tube. I got that when some so and so chopped me and brought me off when I was sprinting for the finish up Manchester Road in a mass start many years ago. I should have won that but I lost a load of skin instead. Lol

Has anyone else still got a vintage frame?

Hi Crusader1943

I still have my Langsett cycle circa 1950's. One day I'll get it back in roadworthy condition, no parts missing but in pieces. I spent many happy hours on that bike but I wouldn't like to use it on the busy roads today. Are these old bikes worth anything?

PopT

I bought a Sheffield Langsett bike from a mate back in '48. That was fixed wheel too, a 14 cog if I remember right. I had to have it, the only trouble was the frame was too small for me really, but with what seemed like a mile of saddle stem sticking out the crossbar I got along. But I clearly remember it had 'Sheffield Langsett' as the logo, not just 'Langsett'. It was a mid blue color with black lettering.

Recently bought a second hand complete bike from shop in Maltby. Had never heard of the make before but on riding found it very rewarding. It is very responsive and loves going uphill - which is more than my legs do. It came with 27 inch wheels on one and a quarter wheels. Campag hubs, levers, gears; mafac breaks and levers and beautiful drilled stronglight chain rings. It had obviously had a lot of TLC as it is in near pristine conditiopns for a bike that I feel is approximately 50 yrs old - now being pushed around by sixty year old legs.

I don't know much about the bikes other than there was a Langsett team at one stage so if you know anyone who can forward information to me I would appreciate futher correspondance.

New to this site. I see your posting is five years old. I was just looking to see if Langsett Cycles still manufactured their own frames but they appear to sell Dawes and the like only. I bought my last Langsett 48 years ago. It's still in perfect nick apart from a slight dent in the top tube. I got that when some so and so chopped me and brought me off when I was sprinting for the finish up Manchester Road in a mass start many years ago. I should have won that but I lost a load of skin instead. Lol

Has anyone else still got a vintage frame?

Recently bought a second hand complete bike from shop in Maltby. Had never heard of the make before but on riding found it very rewarding. It is very responsive and loves going uphill - which is more than my legs do. It came with 27 inch wheels on one and a quarter wheels. Campag hubs, levers, gears; mafac breaks and levers and beautiful drilled stronglight chain rings. It had obviously had a lot of TLC as it is in near pristine conditiopns for a bike that I feel is approximately 50 yrs old - now being pushed around by sixty year old legs.

I don't know much about the bikes other than there was a Langsett team at one stage so if you can supply me with any information I would really appreciate you taking the time.

ps rebuild it and enjoy it - mine gets admiring glances and conversatuion always centres around it when I am out on it. It may not be modern but it still goes at a fair old lick.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I remember that the Sheffield Aspirint Team that rode in the Tour of Brittain in circa 1956 were riding Langsett Professional frames and were competing against the 10 strong Hercules Pro Team and other pro, teams such as Viking, BSA, Claud Butler and guess what Tony Hewson came first and Dick Bartrop third beating the likes of Brian Robinson and Tony Hoar. We had quite a good team in the Falcon Road Club at that time, Happy Days

Terry Cook

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bike from Langsetts that was in the window, special offer. At the time [80s] best bike I'd ever had. Ended up having a bad crash on it. got it repaired in Dronfield but it was never the same and used to veer slightly left. Despite that I passed it on and another kid got the benefit.

Much earlier, and as a kid, I used to cycle out to Butterworth's on Abbeydale Rd and remember the penny farthing there. Used Henry Holmes place as well that seemed just around the corner.

As for penny farthings ..... the village of Bishop Wilton used to have a decrepit garage, hardly used, and in the window hung a PF. May still be there for all I know.

• 5 months later...

I worked at Green lane works in early 1960, in the machine shop, i well remember Brian Goulden he used to do the sign writing, if any customer wanted anything special, that was hih job and he was good at it as well, i am still on contact with Michael Boyce who also worked there at the same time.