Langsett Cycles

PopT

As a collector (in a small way) of 'proper' bicycles I bought, about six months ago, a Langsett from the original owner who had bought the frame new as a teenager in 1956. Some people have suggested it's not such a great bike but I disagree, Langsett were very well thought of in the 50's and a lot of very good riders had one. Mine was re-finished in the eighties by JF Wilson and still looks pretty good, I think it is a 'Proffessional' model. Someone was asking if this type of bike is worth any money and the answer is that they are, there is a growing interest in post war steel bikes. Loved the story about riding round France on one as a teenager. Who needs clubbing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel that it should be pointed out that the original Sheffield Langsett bikes name has nothing whatsover to do with Langsett cycles on Infirmary road. Its just coincindental that they used the name langsett and operated in the same vicinity. There may have been some ties between the 2 businesses (eg supply of components (I dunno)), but thats it.

The modern day langsett cycles at one time had 3 shops - the big one at infirmary road, the one near manor top and a stall in sheaf market.

• 1 year later...

Just a note to rjbleazard. I don't want to disappoint you, but the Sheffield Langsett bike you have sounds like the one that I built up about 5 years ago.

I think the frame dates from the early 1950s. It is a small frame , pale blue with white panels (if you can let me know the frame number I might be able to date it accurately for you). The components used where aquired from friends & ebay. Incidentally I am looking for another Sheffield Langsett frame size 21.5'' to 22'' to build into a period bike & keep. So if anyone has one please get in touch. I also have a Sheffield Langsett frame for sale,it is too big for me at 23'' and I think it dates from the 1930s/40s

• 2 months later...

Hi Hyper

Stuart Smith who is the Grandson of the founder of Langett Cycles, Herbert Smith has published a fantastic book about the shop from it starting trading in 1890 up to the Smith family selling the business on as a going concern in 1967.

Its a great book with loads of old photos, the book shows that not all of what you say is true as the Langsett bikes and the shop were one of the same.

You can buy the book at Langsett Cycles which is still trading sucessfully on Infirmary Rd as it has done on there since 1930.

• 3 months later...
New to this site. I see your posting is five years old. I was just looking to see if Langsett Cycles still manufactured their own frames but they appear to sell Dawes and the like only. I bought my last Langsett 48 years ago. It's still in perfect nick apart from a slight dent in the top tube. I got that when some so and so chopped me and brought me off when I was sprinting for the finish up Manchester Road in a mass start many years ago. I should have won that but I lost a load of skin instead. Lol

Has anyone else still got a vintage frame?

Hi.

I have a frame hanging up in my workshop, I think it dates from the 1940s, it has fancy lugs, faded Sheffield-langsett transfers & measures about 23''.

It is fro sale if you know anyone that is interested.

Regards, Bob.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I own a Langsett cycle, dating, I believe, from 1938. It's in its original paint and transfers. The downtube transfer reads "LANGSETT SPECIAL", which was the transfer used until the late 1930s, when the name was changed from langsett to Sheffield-langsett. The serial number, which is stamped on the left hand side of the lower head lug, is 68851.

I'm a member of the Veteran-Cycle Club, and have just been appointed Marque Enthusiast for Sheffield-Langsett cycles. I would be very interested in hearing from any owners, so that I can build a register of existing frames and machines.

I've been in touch with Stuart Smith, and have bought a copy of his book.

I don't suppose you still have the 40s frame Bob?

Regards, Neil.

Hi. Neil.

Sorry to inform you that I have recently sold the 1930s/40s Sheffield Langsett frame to Langsett Cycles of Infirmary Road Sheffield. They are going to renovate it to display in their shop. The reason I sold it was because at 23'' it was far too big for me.

I am still on the lookout for a 1950s/60s Sheffild Langsett frame size

21'' to 22'', so if you hear of one, I would be very grateful if you would contact me. Good luck with your new position.

Regards, Bob.