Langsett Cycles

PopT

Frederick Beldon, used to get bits from there as a kid, makes you wonder how he managed in such a small shop.

I used the same place as a kid old man Beldon was always ok withus as hard up schoolkids,I used to buy alloy wheels from the scrapyard at the rear of Hillfoot Working Mens Club buckled in a poor state and Fred used to true them up replacing spokes ect.,he never overcharged me.His shop was a front room of a terrace house converted to a shop.

• 3 months later...
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I own a Langsett cycle, dating, I believe, from 1938. It's in its original paint and transfers. The downtube transfer reads "LANGSETT SPECIAL", which was the transfer used until the late 1930s, when the name was changed from langsett to Sheffield-langsett. The serial number, which is stamped on the left hand side of the lower head lug, is 68851.

I'm a member of the Veteran-Cycle Club, and have just been appointed Marque Enthusiast for Sheffield-Langsett cycles. I would be very interested in hearing from any owners, so that I can build a register of existing frames and machines.

I've been in touch with Stuart Smith, and have bought a copy of his book.

I don't suppose you still have the 40s frame Bob?

Regards, Neil.

Hi Neil,

Just joined SF today. I've got a 1940 Sheffield Langsett given to me by the original owner while clearing out his garage before moving house. If you want details/photos of the bike let me know.

Regards,

David

I sold my old bike to another Forummer bike enthusiast

He bought it with intentions of restoring it.

I never heard how he went on with it and whether it was back on the road.

If he is reading this please let Popt know you have got on with it?

Happy Days! PopT

Hi. Neil.

Sorry to inform you that I have recently sold the 1930s/40s Sheffield Langsett frame to Langsett Cycles of Infirmary Road Sheffield. They are going to renovate it to display in their shop. The reason I sold it was because at 23'' it was far too big for me.

I am still on the lookout for a 1950s/60s Sheffild Langsett frame size

21'' to 22'', so if you hear of one, I would be very grateful if you would contact me. Good luck with your new position.

Regards, Bob.

I was looking in Eddisons cycle shop window [in Clowne] last week and he has a Sheffield Langsett on display.

Hi Neil,

Just joined SF today. I've got a 1940 Sheffield Langsett given to me by the original owner while clearing out his garage before moving house. If you want details/photos of the bike let me know.

Regards,

David

Hi David, yes please! Photos would be great, including ones of the lugwork. I would also like, if possible, the name of the original owner, frame size, serial number and location, model number if known, and anything that the original owner told you about the bike and its history. Plus any other information I haven't covered above. Not asking much then! Please email me at neilfoddering@hotmail.com, and if you'd rather discuss this by phone, I'll send you my phone number, or you can let me have yours and I'll contact you. Thank you, and regards, Neil.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 13:36 ----------

I was looking in Eddisons cycle shop window [in Clowne] last week and he has a Sheffield Langsett on display.

Thanks very much Cuttsie, I'll phone the shop, and see what I can find out. Neil.

Hi David, yes please! Photos would be great, including ones of the lugwork. I would also like, if possible, the name of the original owner, frame size, serial number and location, model number if known, and anything that the original owner told you about the bike and its history. Plus any other information I haven't covered above. Not asking much then! Please email me at neilfoddering@hotmail.com, and if you'd rather discuss this by phone, I'll send you my phone number, or you can let me have yours and I'll contact you. Thank you, and regards, Neil.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 13:36 ----------

Thanks very much Cuttsie, I'll phone the shop, and see what I can find out. Neil.

I think Chris Eddison may be away as the shop was closed today.

According to Langsett Cycle shop they never had one above there shop, certainly in the last 30 years but one did have a Penny Farthing outside Butterworths on Abbeydale road.
Albert Butterworth put that penny farthing up during WW2. Before he did it some of us tried to ride it without success, until he made us get off it for fear of breaking it. I bought most of my gear there on HP. Looked up that part of Abbeydale Road on sattelite last week as I used to live on Glen Road across from the school. There was the shop still in business among some very foreign food shops.

• 1 year later...

I owned a 1955 Langsett Professional that had been used on the 1955 Tour of Britain.

Someone had crashed it before I got the thing and broken the frame at a joint. I rebrased the thing and resprayed it in powder blue which seemed to be the original colour. It was a rather lovely bike. A lugless frame and no outer cables.

Sadly I let it go in the 1970s. I'm still looking for a replacement.

• 5 months later...
Hi Hyper

Stuart Smith who is the Grandson of the founder of Langett Cycles, Herbert Smith has published a fantastic book about the shop from it starting trading in 1890 up to the Smith family selling the business on as a going concern in 1967.

Its a great book with loads of old photos, the book shows that not all of what you say is true as the Langsett bikes and the shop were one of the same.

You can buy the book at Langsett Cycles which is still trading sucessfully on Infirmary Rd as it has done on there since 1930.

Just read Stuart Smith's book, highly recommend it. Thoughts drift back to those days, especially Sunday's, when there was little traffic about ! I lived off Abbeydale Road as a child and well remember what appeared to be dozens of cyclists in groups riding out into Derbyshire.