What music are you listening to?

RPG

Joe,

Glad to see you appreciate the master, Richard Wagner. People do tend to associate his matchless operas with anti-semitism and Nazism. However, the Jewish conductor Barenboim has helped things a tad by doing Wagner in Israel. As far as I am concerned, the Ring Cycle is the greatest musical achievement of all time, surpassing even Beethoven's late quartets [although I accept that it is hard to compare opera with chamber music etc]. It is possible to separate the man's views from his music, in my view, and certainly worth the while. I honestly think that his best operas are the pinnacle of Western 'high art' music per se, and I have never heard any Classical music from non-European cultures which comes anywhere close in terms of intellectual rigour, beauty, emotional rnge and depth, craftsmanship etc.

If you like the overtures of Wagner in particular, try the Symphonies of Anton Bruckner [particularly the massive 8th]. Bruckner's oceanic, vast themes are rather like 'Wagner without words', and he was very much influenced by the latter composer.

Timo,

I fully agree with your comments about the Ring cycle. To merely sit down and copy the music longhand would be a Herculean labour; to have composed the music from scratch was something else in addition.

Then to have designed the theatre where the works could best be performed...

As regards the Bruckner 8th, we are to be treated to a perfomance of this work this November here in this city. I hear that the Haas edition will be used (superior to the Nowak in my opinion).

Hi Hopman,

Nice to hear from you. I remember your excellent contributions to mine and Lord Chaverly's Classical threads earlier this year. That reminds me, where is dear old Lord C? The forum is not the same without his terrific postings on a range of subjects.

Re Bruckner's 8th, yes I agree with you that the Haas version is better than the Nowak. That is the great thing about old Anton; there are so many versions of his music. Whatever version we are talking about, I personally see the 8th as Bruckner's finest work. The 4th seems to be the most popular, followed by the 7th. For myself, there is nothing like the 8th and I regard it as the finest Symphony ever written. This, by the way, includes those of Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart and Haydn. The Adagio of the 8th is particularly dear to me, and every time I hear it [my favourite is Von Karajan's 1958 Berliner Phil interpretation] I am transported back to particularly happy times in the 80s when I first discovered Bruckner.