Sunship

A Love Supreme [esp live Italian version]

Crescent

Kulu Se Mama

Meditations

Africa Brass

Creation

Coltraneology 1 and 2

In my view, Coltrane is the greatest jazz musician ever, not just the greatest Saxophonist. For me, nobody else comes even close. I like Evan Parker, Steve Lacy, Wayne Shorter, John Gilmore, Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders and Roland Kirk too, but the master rules supreme. Why Ornette Coleman is so highly rated has always baffled me. Compared to Coltrane, Coleman's weedy runs up and down the Alto sound pathetic. Hail Coltrane!

There's half an hour of John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk starting now!

After "Existential Blues" by TMBG

I'm no expert, but between Davis, Hancock, Monk, Coltrane, Mingus and Sun Ra, I think my favourite has to be Sun Ra, even if he isn;t what you'd call "the greatest"!

I'd be hard pushed to choose between John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

Devandra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands (better than Cripple Crow IMO)

First Roxy Music album - (amazing stuff, really ahead of its time)

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born (not their best, but does feature a candidate for one of my favourite songs of the moment- Company In My Back)

The Earlies - great Transatlantic group. The new Fleetwood Mac they're not.

Phan,

I can see the appeal of Sun Ra, and his sax player Gilmore was very, very good [winning praise from Coltrane]. Sun Ra's particularly innovative use of electronics and various forms of percussion make him an important , if relatively marginal in terms of interest and acclaim in Jazz. Maybe, in his case, we should be talking about the wider category of Electro-acoustic music which includes members of the European avant garde. At times, Sun Ra sounds closer to Stockhausen than to most jazz.

You mention Miles Davis. I love Davis too, especially 60s 'classic quintet' period with Hancock, Carter, Williams and Shorter. The finest recordings from that era are, in my view, ESP, Sorceror and Miles Smiles. I also highly rate his seventies period of electric experimentation too. From this period, I like Bitches Brew, Get Up With It [featuring a track called, He Loved Him Madly which influenced Brian Eno's ambient music], Agharta and Pangaia.

Niiccceee....

Hopman,

I recall you telling me you were listening to the 8th last week, so you must love it as much as I do. I honestly think that it is the finest Symphony ever written, better even than Mahler's 'Resurrection' and Beethoven's 9th. Mind you, my friend Lord Chaverly might disagree re Beethoven! The Adagio must be the greatest ever too. It is probably my very favourite Symphonic movement of Bruckner's.

Have you logged on to 'The Immortal Bruckner' website, run by a Chinese student? It is absolutely charming!