Gordon Banks Obe

Does BANKSY deserve to be honored by his home city?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Does BANKSY deserve to be honored by his home city?

• YES...Without a doubt.
    • Not bothered.
    • Definately not.

I am at the moment in conjunction with the Sheffield Star,

trying to get the freedom of our city for sheffield's own Gordon Banks obe. He is after all a tinsley lad and still has family in this area.

It is a terrible oversight that the city of his birth did not recognise his achievement in lifting footballs biggest trophy in 1966, the Charlton Brothers were given a civic reception and the keys, even though they never played for their home teams in the north east, as were other players from the squad.

Gordon will be 67 come christmas and I am sure he would like to think that his home town has not forgotten him, I certainly will never forget him as he is my alltime hero.

if you think he deserves better from his city, get in touch with the mayor, the Star even the pm if you feel inclined, but let's do this for Gordon, a great Sheffielder and the best goalkeeper ever to have existed.

Banksy, should have had some form of recognition long before now, he was certainly in the top five goal keepers in the world. I was lucky..nay unlucky to have stood behind the goals at Leicester and watched him keep Wednesday at bay almost single handed, he was the first man to ever get 10 in the Sunday People match reports, and it was a privelige to have seen him do it ......although I didn't see it that way at twenty to five that Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived