Gordon Banks Obe

Does BANKSY deserve to be honored by his home city?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Does BANKSY deserve to be honored by his home city?

• YES...Without a doubt.
    • Not bothered.
    • Definately not.

My late father always claimed to have played against Banks in a Wincobank versus Ecclesfield match. Was he pulling my leg, or did Banksy really play for Ecclesfield? At any rate, I agree with the nice things people have said about him so far. We should be very proud of him.

Hi Herb, thanks for your reply. Now you've mentioned Sheffield Boys something has clicked. I think my late Dad played for them, and somehow I've got things mixed up. Sadly, he's not around to ask anymore. He wasn't the type to make things up, and rarely pulled anyone's leg [that's more my territory]. Aside from this, I support your aims 100%. Banks was THE best.

At this time the council is meeting to discuss the possibility of having a Walk of Fame maybe on Fargate, of course Banksy will no doubt be included, but who else do you think should have this honour?

I personally think that it should only be for Sheffield's own sons and daughters, but what do you think?

• 1 month later...

It seems now that the freedom of the city has gone out of the window in favour of the SHEFFIELD LEGENDS idea,

there is proposed to be a WALK OF FAME outside the town hall, where the names of Sheffield legends will be embedded into the pavement.

the council will be asking the people of Sheffield to nominate their favorites, and they will be discussed amongst the board and the successful ones will have their names on the walk.

who do you want to see in there?

I'd like to see members of Cabaret Voltaire and The Human League, Sean Bean, Joe Cocker and various footballing legends from both clubs [who says a Blade can't be diplomatic ?] in there. I suggest an alternative Infamous gallery, which would include dreadful types like Clive Betts, the achingly-unfunny Bobby Knutt, etc.

Originally posted by herbiegrass

I am at the moment in conjunction with the Sheffield Star,

trying to get the freedom of our city for sheffield's own Gordon Banks obe. He is after all a tinsley lad and still has family in this area.

It is a terrible oversight that the city of his birth did not recognise his achievement in lifting footballs biggest trophy in 1966, the Charlton Brothers were given a civic reception and the keys, even though they never played for their home teams in the north east, as were other players from the squad.

Gordon will be 67 come christmas and I am sure he would like to think that his home town has not forgotten him, I certainly will never forget him as he is my alltime hero.

if you think he deserves better from his city, get in touch with the mayor, the Star even the pm if you feel inclined, but let's do this for Gordon, a great Sheffielder and the best goalkeeper ever to have existed.

i never knew he was a sheffielder:confused: and ive followed football for years....

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by herbiegrass

It seems now that the freedom of the city has gone out of the window in favour of the SHEFFIELD LEGENDS idea,

there is proposed to be a WALK OF FAME outside the town hall, where the names of Sheffield legends will be embedded into the pavement.

who do you want to see in there?

I guess that Tony Chrisitie has suddenly jumped back on to the list, but I would like to see Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner) who, although not born in Sheffield (he was actually born in New York) lived here from the age of 7 and went to my school (De La Salle at Pitsmoor).

Watching reruns of "The Prisoner" convinces me more and more that it was a groundbreaking show, and took the "Big Brother" concept of government to a new level.

Archived