Memories and Stories of Sheffield During WWII

as i went to school i crossed the flattened area that led to the back of the cathedral from the top of angel st. there were fenced circles round holes in the ground and we used to drop stones down and count until we heard water, i presume around there under the buidings are still the wells. my dad said they could not get the bodies out of marples so put down quick lime and built on top.

my aunt was bombed out of her home and relocated in the back half of a house in granville rd that had had the front destoyed, we had to pick our way thro the debris to get to her rooms. in the garden was a big sundial. i wonder if that is still there. thanks for listening to me.

hazel

Hazel, please keep on with your writings.

I think they are so valuable to all of us who were born after the war, and have only heard of the things that went on in Sheffield at that time. many thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

hi

as the war went on there was a great shortage of clothes and neighbours used to bring an old coat to my mom who made it into a siren suit for a child these were an all in one garment supposed to be worn in the airraid for quick dressing. i can remember being zipped into mine and the zip catching me. funny the lasting impressions, the zip and the wellies.

all i had really known of life was that there was a war and i couldn't imagine life without it when they said u would be able to buy sweets in a shop i could not believe it. i had seen the machines that dispensed chocolate but never knew anything came out of them. i could remember eating pink cotton wool ( candyfloss) but thought it was a dream, i was 15yrs before sweet ration stopped. perhaps that is why i like them so much now. i think i am getting off thethread of war damage now byee

hi

all the young boys at school had in their pockets what i think were brass cartridge cases which were given to them presumably by older brothers. we had an incendry bomb which we found and it lived under our hall table for years, never did find out whether it was unexploded or not. just took it for granted. was probably thrown out in a move.

i was lucky in that my dad was a fireman in the steel works, which was an essential job as steel was needed for ammunitions. but he was afraid he would be thought a coward .and ran away twice to join up. once in the airforce and once in the amy, my mom said he lasted a fortnight before he was found out and sent back to sheffield so he had to be content to be a night warden.

all our metal railings and gates in front off the houses in arbourthorne rd were cut down and collected to be melted down for the war, this inhibited me in my walking on walls routine as the stubbs of metaal hurt my feet

it's all a worms eye veiw.

some girls at school fathers used to come home with presents for them, but some never came home at all.

Archived