Parkwood Springs

meppy

:help:Does anyone have any info on Parkwood Springs pre 1960's my mother was born there in 1913 and I cannot find anything about the area as it was demolished in the early 60's and is now the dry ski slope,:wave:

:help:Does anyone have any info on Parkwood Springs pre 1960's my mother was born there in 1913 and I cannot find anything about the area as it was demolished in the early 60's and is now the dry ski slope,:wave:

What do you want to know.

Wasn't it the early 70's it got demolished a lot of my family lived in that area.:thumbsup:

What do you want to know.

Anything as I cannot seem to get any info and my mum's family are all now deceased i know they lived at 28 Pickering Road, they had an outside loo (rare in the 1913 in that area, also believe that there was a fight that resulted in a death in or around that area, and that my g/father was a master cabinet maker and had his own business in Paradise St(side of the oldMosley Arms) I was not brought up in England so hence my lack of knowledge:thumbsup:

Anything as I cannot seem to get any info and my mum's family are all now deceased i know they lived at 28 Pickering Road, they had an outside loo (rare in the 1913 in that area, also believe that there was a fight that resulted in a death in or around that area, and that my g/father was a master cabinet maker and had his own business in Paradise St(side of the oldMosley Arms) I was not brought up in England so hence my lack of knowledge:thumbsup:

He's listed as Ardern & Barnes

28 was near the bottom of Pickering Road, right hand side looking uphill.

I lived on Pickering Road from 1961 to 1966. I lived in one of the back to back houses. There were just three rooms one on top of the other. One room downstairs that was the living room/kitchen/dining room all rolled into one. There was a double cellar that led off from that. We had a small cooking range with the over over the fire. My mum used to do all her cooking in the oven. We had a large pot sink in the corner with a cold tap and a small water heater. We didn't have a cooker, just two gas ring burners. My mum had to go to the launderette to do her washing. Our loo was down the yard and believe it or not it was a SHARED loo - we were supposed to share it with the lady who lived in the house at the front of us. As it turned out she was a very old lady and couldn't make it down the path to the toilet so had a commode. She had home helps come to help her and my mum also went round to care for her.

There were two bedrooms the middle one was my mum and dads and my sister and I were in the top one. I remember that we had a great big yard in which to play and there was a wall at the end which had a very large drop and backed onto the house on Wallace Road.

I went to the Parkwood Springs Methodist Chapel at the corner of Pickering Road & Wallace Road. I didn't go to the local school though. Each day my mum and dad took me and my sister to my grandad's who lived on Parson Cross and we went to Meynell Road School.

I have quite fond memories of the Springs. As kids we often played down on the garages at the bottom of Wallace Road.

I always remember when walking home from school, walking past the steelworks and the men often sitting outside having a break. They would very often say hello. I never, ever felt frightened walking past there - I am sure if the steelworks were still there these days it wouldn't be the same at all. I also remember at the top of Pickering Road there used to be the railway steps and railway bridge. I never used to like walking down there though as I always found it a little "spooky".

I believe that there is another thread on the Forum which you might find helpful.

I lived on Pickering Road from 1961 to 1966. I lived in one of the back to back houses. There were just three rooms one on top of the other. One room downstairs that was the living room/kitchen/dining room all rolled into one. There was a double cellar that led off from that. We had a small cooking range with the over over the fire. My mum used to do all her cooking in the oven. We had a large pot sink in the corner with a cold tap and a small water heater. We didn't have a cooker, just two gas ring burners. My mum had to go to the launderette to do her washing. Our loo was down the yard and believe it or not it was a SHARED loo - we were supposed to share it with the lady who lived in the house at the front of us. As it turned out she was a very old lady and couldn't make it down the path to the toilet so had a commode. She had home helps come to help her and my mum also went round to care for her.

Mrs Wardle?

Mrs Wardle?

No her name was Swift. We were the Heeley's. I'm not sure but I am wondering if the Wardles were the people who lived next door but their house wasn't back to back it was the full house they had had it knocked through. I remember during our time there a really bad thunder storm and the house next door was hit by lightening and blew out a bedroom wall. There had been a baby in a cot in the room but because of the storm had been moved out. We suffered a slight fire in our living area - but nowhere near as much damage as next door.

Archived