Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

A drug is anything which alters how the body works after it is ingested/taken.

Alcohol, caffeine, cocaine, cannabis, tobacco, aspirin, paracetamol, etc. All drugs.

Drugs either stimulate or depress the nervous system, and as alcohol is classed as a depressant, it is a drug. It alters how the body work.

Just because it is legal does NOT mean it isn't a drug. It is.

"Q: Is alcohol a drug?

A: Yes, alcohol is a drug. Alcohol can affect every organ in the human body - brain, liver, stomach and heart to name a few! Although alcohol is not a prescription drug or an illegal substance (for adults), it carries all the risks of addiction and illness that street drugs do." http://www.teengrowth.com/index.cfm?action=info_advice&ID_Advice=2298

"Alcohol is our favourite drug. Most of us use it for enjoyment, but for some of us, drinking can become a serious problem.

In fact, alcohol causes much more harm than illegal drugs like heroin and cannabis. It is a tranquilliser, it is addictive, and is the cause of many hospital admissions for physical illnesses and accidents." http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/problems/alcoholanddrugs/alcoholourfavouritedrug.aspx

Neither under the words Intoxicant or ontoxicate etc is you definition mentioned in the dictionary

I've just given you the definition of a drug, if you aren't able to join the dots, that's not my fault.

it would seem that once again you like your misinformed friend are cluthching at straws as well as being ubsive.

Ubusive ;) Not at all, you are the one clutching at straws. Alcohol is a drug by any accepted definition of the term.

There is no mention of alcohol under Drug either.

Oh dear, you really do need help.

The Royal College of Pyschiatrists saying alcohol is a drug.

Sadly, I don't think any source will challenge the wisdom of the dictionary.

If you know how to use and interpret a dictionary then it clearly shows that alcohol *is* a drug. (as has already been shown, more than once).

It's all very well legalising cannabis, but where would we draw the line?

All recreational drugs? There may be arguments that some are less harmful than others, but some are clearly highly addictive and damaging - should all of those be legal as well? What about any new, untested types - should they be legal in the year or two interim before a commerically tested and manufactured version is available?

I like the idea, in theory, of removing the drug dealers' business, but just can't see it happening that easily.

Legalising cannabis and placing a tax on the good has several advantages

1. The Government can raise revenue from the tax. Because demand is likely to be inelastic the tax revenue could be quite high. The tax revenues could be used to help finance health care and treat lung cancer (things associated with dope smoking

2. It would reduce size of black economy. If cannabis was legalised it would reduce criminal activity. It would also free up police time to investigate more serious crimes and drug use.

3. Taxing Cannabis should prevent ‘Over Use’ Although cannabis might be legalised it is advisable to still discourage consumption through taxation. Cannabis can be considered a demerit good because

1. people underestimate dangers of smoking (long term memory loss, increased risk of psychosis)

2. Smoking has negative externalities. Dope smokers are less productive when stoned. Increased risk of accidents if driving when stoned.

Therefore we make people pay the social cost of cannabis by taxing the good. This can achieve social efficiency and should reduce the overconsumption of cannabis.

Take Amsterdam where you can visit any brown cafe and but Jack Herer, White Widow, Ice-O-Lator or Blueberry grass, or solid hash, even a ready-rolled joint.

Cannbis being on sale to all and everyone must mean people are zonked out all day, right?

Wrong, the use of cannabis among young Dutch people is HALF what it is in America, where cannabis is illegal.

You can have a smoke then cycle to the Hortus Botanicus, a beautiful botanic garden where they have the original coffee plant from which cuttings were sent to Brazil so now a third of the world's coffee comes from that plant!

Amazing.

It's all very well legalising cannabis, but where would we draw the line?

All recreational drugs? There may be arguments that some are less harmful than others, but some are clearly highly addictive and damaging - should all of those be legal as well?

Yes, I do think alcohol should be legal, that is what you're describing here right?

Archived