Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Thanks to the widespread, perfectly legal availability of relatively cheap alcohol we have a binge drinking culture in this country that is on a far greater scale now than if we still had prohibition.

Whenever anything is liberalised it gets out of hand amongst the general populace, like gambling and the adult entertainment industry for instance.

Do you have some figures to back up these claims?

Oh good grief' date=' sensationalising at its very best! The poor lad was a paranoid schitzophrenic, a condition which can take years for even the best of professionals to stabilise, and on extremely rare occasions tragic events can occur before stabilisation is complete. [b']The fact he smoked cannabis is a complete aside.[/b] To say that this would become a daily event if drugs were legalised is melodramatic to say the least. If that was the case why arent all the current drug takers out there killing people now? Why would they wait until the drugs were made legal?
Rubbish..........................................:loopy:

Lets not repeat the mistake we've made with alcohol by liberalising, or normalising cannabis.
But cannabis is normal. The city is awash with it the vast majority of users lead quiet, productive lives and don't cause any harm to anyone or do anything illegal except buy and use cannabis.

What is the current illegality of it achieving? I know police officers who if they catch people with it don't do anything because theres no point. The person with it is unlikely to be a violent criminal so its not worth 4 hours of paperwork to our overworked police.

But cannabis is normal. The city is awash with it the vast majority of users lead quiet, productive lives and don't cause any harm to anyone or do anything illegal except buy and use cannabis.

What is the current illegality of it achieving? I know police officers who if they catch people with it don't do anything because theres no point. The person with it is unlikely to be a violent criminal so its not worth 4 hours of paperwork to our overworked police.

Exactly, yet bassman claims there would be a murder a day if it were legalised, but every time you ask for evidence he disappears.

Lets not repeat the mistake we've made with alcohol by liberalising, or normalising cannabis.

Why make something illegal based on the faults of something else? That's silly. It's even more silly when you don't make the original problem illegal at the same time. You're not speaking any sense.

People speed on motorbikes, so lets not make the same mistake and everyone should drive a milkfloat or a motorbike.

You claim a regular cannabis smoker having little bit of weed can actually improve his/her driving ability; isn't that the age old mantra of drink drivers?

No, that's not what I said.

Allow me ...

TRL and IDMU both noted that:

"Reviews of the scientific literature suggest cannabis may impair performance on certain psychomotor tasks. Cannabinoids are found in an increasing percentage of fatal accident victims.

Studies of driving simulators, actual driving behaviour, or culpability analysis applied to accidents demonstrate little impairment of performance compared to the effects of alcohol, some studies even suggest improvements in driving behaviour."

So that's the Transport Research Laboratory, and the Independent Drugs Monitoring Unit, not me, noting that some studies suggest, not claiming anything.

It's all very straightforward if you just read the words.

Alcohol is supposedly a "drug"

There's nothing supposedly about it, by definition, alcohol is a drug.

and is widely used and abused by many.

But is also used responsibly by far the vast majority of users for recreation and enjoyment.

And its legal.

Yes, because there's no real justification for it to be illegal.

People who use this drug moderately and responsibly should not be criminalised because a minority are morons.

If there were any evidence to suggest the majority of alcohol users were abusers then I think you would have a point, but I haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case. If people drank and drove to anything like some of the scaremongering on this thread would suggest, then the death toll would be a sizeable proportion of the population! Clearly, that is not the case.

I don't think banning anything based on the lowest common denominator is rational or proportional. If it were then we'd have to ban any number of other things aswell.

Archived