Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Is it illegal? ;-)

I don't think decriminalising will make any difference. Is the country full of people just gagging for a spliff but don't because it's illegal? I shouldn't have thought so.

I can see the argument that says keep it illegal because it is, so why mess, but the social costs of cannabis use compared to alcohol, cigarettes, lard-arses and cars is a drop in the ocean. Why criminalise otherwise law abiding citizens for doing it? Seems like a waste of police and judicary time and the police seem to agree.

People have taken mind-altering substances since before they were painting caves. It's part of humanity and you aren't going to stop them.

Oregano has 39 different carcinogenic compounds in it btw.

Hear me go again! How many threads, same old arguments. I'm going to bring back the poll thread I set up to get some more people to vote.

Yet again T020, you have made the statement

More people would use cannabis if it were legalised

And yet again, I will say, there is no evidence for this. There might be a slight curiosity increase initially, but you'll find most people who have had it, will continue, most people who never had it, will still not want it, and there would be very few that wouldn't have it because it was illegal and would suddenly decide to try it now it was. Ok, so the poll isn't across the country, but it's a representation of people on this forum, and not one person has voted that they'd try it now it was legal. Give people some credit. And yet, again, I'll point out that studies in Netherlands showed a decrease in the number of users once it was decriminalised. I've posted links to all the studies before.

Previous thread Please vote if you're a new member!

Originally posted by PaulV

Is it illegal? ;-)

I don't think decriminalising will make any difference. Is the country full of people just gagging for a spliff but don't because it's illegal? I shouldn't have thought so.

I can see the argument that says keep it illegal because it is, so why mess, but the social costs of cannabis use compared to alcohol, cigarettes, lard-arses and cars is a drop in the ocean. Why criminalise otherwise law abiding citizens for doing it? Seems like a waste of police and judicary time and the police seem to agree.

People have taken mind-altering substances since before they were painting caves. It's part of humanity and you aren't going to stop them.

Oregano has 39 different carcinogenic compounds in it btw.

I never knew nutmeg could kill you.

Originally posted by halevan

Suppose I am lucky being brought up in an age when drugs for recreation were not heard of, but surely any young person wouldn't want to destroy their lovely young body by taking drugs would they?

When in history did people not use drugs for recreation?

The unique period of history in which Halevan grew up is of great interest to me as well.

I know I've already asked you and you never replied but exactly how old are you?

I guessed at 605 but if you can remember a time of no recreational drug use it must be way older.

Originally posted by Foxxx

Just bringing thread back, to get some more votes from newer members!

And to create another discussion......has anyone got some funny cannabis related stories? or any horror stories??

Yes Drugs are not funny people DIE.

Originally posted by Snook

When in history did people not use drugs for recreation?

well, since

a) “We have drunk the Soma; we have become immortal; we have gone to the light; we have found the gods.” (Rig Veda 8.48.1-15) (about 1000 BCE) (anyone who has used enthoegenic psychedelics (not taken them, used them) will be familiar with this sensation.

b)During the reign of Akhenaton in Egypt (1350 BC) Egypt traded Opium accross the Mediterranean and into Europe.

c) Sumerian (Iraqi) clay tablets record more than 20 Recipes for wine in around 3000 BCE (yes, it's a drug)

a) ethnobotanist researchers found psilcocybean mushroom spores in honey vessels in the Catal Huyuk region and good suggestive evidence for mushroom/cattle worship which date back to 6500BCE (reliably carbon dated)

[unfortunately there is little written evidence for this because they had yet to invent writing in the worlds oldest city (or anywhere else on the planet).]

People have been ingesting substances to alter their perceptions since they became people, and very possibly before that. It's part of being human, altering your perceptions knowingly and deliberately.

Doing so carelessly invites disaster, but careful practice is not engendered through prohibition....

Prohibition is a failure, let's try something else, like licensing.

People have been ingesting substances to alter their perceptions since they became people, (((and very possibly before that))). It's part of being human, altering your perceptions knowingly and deliberately.

just adding to what you are saying Phanerothyme

i watch a program on tv call weird nature or somethin

it had these deer in alaska eating mushrooms getting wasted

you could see it in they eyes. they new what there were doing..

its not part of being human its part of being alive full stop.

life is about experence if you dont what to experence it dont!! but can i plz?

the one thing i lov to do is watch a film with a smoke.

then watch it again without a smoke. its a hole new film

watch 2 films from blockbuster for the price of 1

thats the way to beat the Man (school of Rock top film)

Archived