Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by tosh13

What could be the long term effects of eating cannabis any idea????

In the first instance, and this should be remembered when talking about "drugs" in any negative sense, is that cannabis is a plant. It is when this natural substance is prepared and then ingested in certain ways that it becomes a drug:

In the first instance, and this should be remembered when talking about "drugs" in any negative sense, is that cannabis is a plant. It is when this natural substance is prepared and then ingested in certain ways that it becomes a drug:

Incorrect.

Eating cannabis in any state, will get you "high" (as with lots of other "drugs")!

The main danger with cannabis, is when smoked (ie mixed with tobacco)!

Also, as far as I'm aware, the same laws apply to drug-driving as to drink-driving.

actually i'm pretty sure that most studies have shown that canabis is less harmful than cigarettes and less harmful than binge drinking.

The law to be clear is that it's illegal to drive whilst under the influence of alchohol or drugs, so no points to you there.

The plain fact is that a drug is any substance that has an affect on the body, so that's pretty much anything we can ingest, and we (as a race) have been using various drugs, natural and prepared for as long as we have history.

There is also little to no evidence to suggest that canabis use indicates that someone will move onto harder drugs, and what link there is is probably created by the very fact that it's illegal and they have to deal with some shady drug dealer to get it. If they bought it down at the corner shop it's unlikely that the shop keeper would have any incentive for giving them a free helping of heroin, whereas the drug dealer does have that incentive.

The label attached to cannabis has been attached by scientists that it damages brain cells ,ok alchohol & ciggys are bad for you,a driver can be banned for drink driving while a moron high as a kite on cannabis can drive around all day long.I have seen these kids first hand & it is frightening,I guess we live in a society that some say it is bad some say it isn't .The plain fact is Cannabis is a drug & the qoute I made, came from a Cannabis website not from me.Plenty of kids have gone on to harder stuff after starting on Cannabis & I know this first hand as well.

Originally posted by Cyclone

actually i'm pretty sure that most studies have shown that canabis is less harmful than cigarettes and less harmful than binge drinking.

The law to be clear is that it's illegal to drive whilst under the influence of alchohol or drugs, so no points to you there.

The plain fact is that a drug is any substance that has an affect on the body, so that's pretty much anything we can ingest, and we (as a race) have been using various drugs, natural and prepared for as long as we have history.

There is also little to no evidence to suggest that canabis use indicates that someone will move onto harder drugs, and what link there is is probably created by the very fact that it's illegal and they have to deal with some shady drug dealer to get it. If they bought it down at the corner shop it's unlikely that the shop keeper would have any incentive for giving them a free helping of heroin, whereas the drug dealer does have that incentive.

Where does the evidence come from that say's Canabis doesn't lead to harder drugs,I have first hand knowledge that indeed using Canabis can lead to the use of harder drugs & the only reason people say it doesn't is they have not seen what damage these so called recreational drugs can do,it's society remember the Young Ones Neil the Hippy always high as akite & making fun of it,you try telling any family that has lost a child or relative that so called soft drugs are a laugh.I will not be making any further comments about this subject.

a rather unoriginal way of ducking out of the argument if you ask me.

The only evidence there is to suggest that canabis use leads to harder drugs links it to the fact that to buy canabis you have to come into contact with someone who is dealing in drugs.

Hence they may well be dealing in heroin (for 1 example of a hard drug), and in fact, they'd love it if you became addicted so they might push on you a 'free' sample.

If however you bought canabis at the corner shop, this contact would not occur, and you wouldn't have been criminalised already, so unless you would suggest that alchohol also leads to harder drugs then you have no argument. I use alchohol there simply as an alternative mood/perception altering drug that is legally available.

I doubt you'll reply now, but let me turn your question around, where does the evidence come from that suggests that canabis use does lead to harder drugs? I have first hand knowledge of people that smoked canabis as a student and are now drug free upstanding members of the community. Anecdotal evidence is worthless.

No i don't remember the young ones, you must be older than me, I wonder if that colours your perceptions?

Where does the evidence come from that say's Canabis doesn't lead to harder drugs,I have first hand knowledge that indeed using Canabis can lead to the use of harder drugs & the only reason people say it doesn't is they have not seen what damage these so called recreational drugs can do,it's society remember the Young Ones Neil the Hippy always high as akite & making fun of it,you try telling any family that has lost a child or relative that so called soft drugs are a laugh.I will not be making any further comments about this subject.

Cannabis does not lead to harder drugs because of the effect it has on you.

When a person tries cannabis for the first time, enjoys it and continues to use it they begin to think that the laws on drugs are wrong and thus it is untrue what the government has said to them about cannabis killing brain cells/ being addictive whatever- they begin to falsely believe that other drugs must be the same.

i.e. "if weed does me no harm, why not try something else?!?!".

This would lead to trouble

Surely the arguement shouldn't be to legalise cannabis because it is less dangerous that tobacco (which I don't believe anyway). Surely we should be arguing for more controls on the use of legal "drugs" such as tobacco, rather than relaxing the laws on cannabis and other drugs.

Originally posted by Cyclone

a rather unoriginal way of ducking out of the argument if you ask me.

The only evidence there is to suggest that canabis use leads to harder drugs links it to the fact that to buy canabis you have to come into contact with someone who is dealing in drugs.

Hence they may well be dealing in heroin (for 1 example of a hard drug), and in fact, they'd love it if you became addicted so they might push on you a 'free' sample.

If however you bought canabis at the corner shop, this contact would not occur, and you wouldn't have been criminalised already, so unless you would suggest that alchohol also leads to harder drugs then you have no argument. I use alchohol there simply as an alternative mood/perception altering drug that is legally available.

I doubt you'll reply now, but let me turn your question around, where does the evidence come from that suggests that canabis use does lead to harder drugs? I have first hand knowledge of people that smoked canabis as a student and are now drug free upstanding members of the community. Anecdotal evidence is worthless.

No i don't remember the young ones, you must be older than me, I wonder if that colours your perceptions?

I can argue all day mate about this issue,but people who do not know what it's like to lose a loved one to drugs doesn't know what they are talking about & the Young Ones is a cult show now on Sky it's about a load of stupid students who are basically brain dead & my age makes no difference mate,I was brought up in the 60s & they used drugs as it is well documented.Rock stars I might add who are still living look like death,take a look at the Stones & all the other 60s rock superstars,Ozzy Osbourne I suppose you've heard of him ,look what drink & drugs have done to him & tell me taking any kind of drug is ok!Drugs cloud your judgement just like alchohol.

Originally posted by sccsux

Incorrect.

Eating cannabis in any state, will get you "high" (as with lots of other "drugs")!

The main danger with cannabis, is when smoked (ie mixed with tobacco)!

Also, as far as I'm aware, the same laws apply to drug-driving as to drink-driving.

Incorrect am I look at this link http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/DrDrew/facts.html

Originally posted by ianmitchell

Cannabis does not lead to harder drugs because of the effect it has on you.

When a person tries cannabis for the first time, enjoys it and continues to use it they begin to think that the laws on drugs are wrong and thus it is untrue what the government has said to them about cannabis killing brain cells/ being addictive whatever- they begin to falsely believe that other drugs must be the same.

i.e. "if weed does me no harm, why not try something else?!?!".

This would lead to trouble

Try telling Ozzie Osbourne that drugs don't damage the brain.!

Archived