Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by tosh13

I am only Quoting what The Mirror study produced,I am no Doctor.But how do you know if some heart attacks have not been caused by Cannibis??

And you believe everything you read in papers?? Don't you think they have an agenda??

Considering the majority of heart attacks occur in the older generation, who tend to not smoke cannabis then this answers your question.

There would be a rather alarming amount of 16-35 year old dropping dead if this were the case.

Originally posted by Foxxx

What would be the point of them dealing? There would be nothing to deal! If you're talking about a two bit bloke trying to flog drugs for cheaper , undercutting, he would hardly be a big time drug dealer like they have around at the moment, plus whre would he get the drugs from to do that? Not really worth smuggling them as it would probably cost more to get them into this country then it would to just buy it here. People would be wary of buying off someone when they can already buy it from a clean source in a licenced shop at an already affordable price.

Where did ectasy come from ,the tooth fairy if one drug can be man made other addictive drugs can be made & as far as heart attacks,the Doctor who monitored the reporter gave his findings him being a medical expert.How do you know that Cannibis will not cause heart problems in the future as ciggys do & alchohol.I am not prim or proper I used to drink with the best of em,I am not asking people or telling people not to take drugs,it's there perogative,all I am saying is I have seen what it can do first hand & those who have not seen what it can do to the person & family and who have never taken drugs cannot possibly understand what point I am trying to make.

Blimey some folk talk a truck load of shiiiiiiite.

If u've never done it before and you each a few hundreds quids worth in one sitting then maybe you could be killed by eating da weed as I suppose would be true of spaggetti or err rich tea biscuits.

Do they have rich tea biscuit sniffer dogs on the buses?

Maybe weed smokers are more prone to paranoia cos it's like illegal-ish and if they are busted it could like screw up their life with legal implications. That would make me paranoid.

Maybe folk should be a bit more live and let live around here instead of ramming their high horsed head mighty far up their high horsed asses. Discuss?

slow down, it's getting difficult to read your posts as the punctuation starts to disappear.

No-one is suggesting that all drugs should be legalised. In fact, everyone else sees a clear distinction between a physically or psychologically addictive drug and non-addictive ones.

Canabis is non-addictive, caffeine and nicotine are physically addictive as are most class A drugs. Class A drugs are also generally quite easy to overdose with.

I can't counter your argument about blood pressure without spending more time than i feel like looking up the facts, so we'll just have to accept that to me that does not sound like a fair unbiased test, and neither does it fit in with what we already know. If you choose to believe it, then i'll put it down to uncritical thinking and the fact that it supports your existing point of view.

For the record, I have never smoked or otherwise taken canabis and never would, even were it legal.

Can anyone tell me why the state has the authority to tell me what I can and cannot do with (or put in to) my own body !?

It is a violation of human rights on mass.

Sure they can do studies and research and make their findings known to the populus. After that it is up to individuals to make up their own minds.

I do not get the feeling that they ban any given substance based on is it good / bad for us ...

Originally posted by Jamie

Can anyone tell me why the state has the authority to tell me what I can and cannot do with (or put in to) my own body !?

Sure they can do studies and research and make their findings known to the populus. After that it is up to individuals to make up their own minds.

I do not get the feeling that they ban any given substance based on is it good / bad for us ...

Hey up, Jamie. Last time I broached 'human rights' on the Forum I got grief from more than one quarter:D

Stand by:hihi:

Because allowing you to become addicted to something is highly likely to cause you to commit crime, become ill or otherwise have a detrimental affect on society. It's not just about you, it's about the society within which you exist and to stay within that society you have to abide by the laws made to protect the society as well as the individual.

It's a fine line to draw, but I don't think they actually make it illegal to take the drug, they make it illegal to sell or possess it...

Originally posted by Jamie

No ... I do not agree with that.

I never signed any contract to agree to be a part of 'society' and abide by it's rules ... it is forced upon my by an act (or threat) of violence against my person.

Those rules are not there for my (or your) benefit. They exist to protect the economic / self-interest of those setting the rules.

I am here for me. I follow my own rules.

If 'society' doens't like that then 'society' is more than welcome to leave this island ... go on now ... run along.

Originally posted by Cyclone

Because allowing you to become addicted to something is highly likely to cause you to commit crime, become ill or otherwise have a detrimental affect on society. It's not just about you, it's about the society within which you exist and to stay within that society you have to abide by the laws made to protect the society as well as the individual.

The thing is, if those laws weren't in place, and a system of licencing and control had been introduced, drug related crime and illness falls would have fallen away rapidly. This has been borne out repeatedly in studies and schemes worldwide.

The reason that Smack and Crack are so lucrative is because a customer is nearly always a repeat customer, and will do anything to scratch enough cash together for more. The price is vastly inflated, the quality is poor to maximise profits, and you end up with malnourished addicts robbing people for their next installment.

If we want to limit the damage caused by heavily addictive stimulants and analgesics/tranquilisers then we need to recognise that bringing the whole economy and culture of addiction out into the open is the only way of dealing with it. Prohibition never fails to fail.

It's a fine line to draw, but I don't think they actually make it illegal to take the drug, they make it illegal to sell or possess it...

For the time being, although legislation is being looked at to emulate scandinavian law, where havinga controlled drug or its metabolites in the body is an indictable offence (unbelievably).

Which puts exactly 100% of Swedes on the wrong side of the law seing as how every human brain is chock full of exactly the same psychedlics as have been ingested by those self same humans for tens of thousands of years (probably, but certainly 10000).

Originally posted by Cyclone

slow down, it's getting difficult to read your posts as the punctuation starts to disappear.

No-one is suggesting that all drugs should be legalised. In fact, everyone else sees a clear distinction between a physically or psychologically addictive drug and non-addictive ones.

Canabis is non-addictive, caffeine and nicotine are physically addictive as are most class A drugs. Class A drugs are also generally quite easy to overdose with.

I can't counter your argument about blood pressure without spending more time than i feel like looking up the facts, so we'll just have to accept that to me that does not sound like a fair unbiased test, and neither does it fit in with what we already know. If you choose to believe it, then i'll put it down to uncritical thinking and the fact that it supports your existing point of view.

For the record, I have never smoked or otherwise taken canabis and never would, even were it legal.

Well like I said.How can you possibly understand someone, who has had first hand dealings with a family member on Drugs & Died in the process! & are you always critical on every subject,whats my punctuation got to do with this post.It seems we have been here before!

Archived