Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by kirky

stop being borin phan you aint a mod anymore:)

Hang on Kirky - the next instalment is about some much neglected research on the topic - the subjective benefits reported by users. Important, because in any assessment of a drug, the reasons for use must be understood, and the subjective effects must be recorded.

But this presents an interesting problem. With say a drug like Chlorpromazine, you give it to someone and the effects are pretty much identical to the other 2000 people you gave it to, they become heavily sedated and probably go to sleep or gouch out - remembering very little.

Give 2000 people a big whiff of vapourised THC and you will get the same external effects in most people. But you will get 2000 wildly varying reports of the effects - from none at all to major 'wig-out'

And there's all the Anandamide stuff too - I bet you can't wait until we get to the

(i) selective cannabinoid binding sites; (ii) the endogenous cannabinoid receptor ligand, anandamide (arachidonoylethanolamide); (iii) a fatty acid amide hydrolase-like activity catalysing anandamide hydrolysis; and (iv) the putative biosynthetic precursor of anandamide, N-arachidonoylphosphatidylethanolamine.

!

Some interesting comments from a few people who I think need to open their mind more. Without using dodgy substances I mean ;)

I chose not to smoke dope, but what others do is up to them. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

To whoever said that they don't wake up needing a drink, but they know people waking up needing a joint - think you'll find some people do wake up needing a drink. Or a fag. The addiction is mental as much as anything. With alcohol it's very much a physical addiction, some people being extremely prone to it.

To those who said its sad that someone needs drugs to feel better - that was my opinion back when I was a kid. These days I know life is far more complicated than that.

Your life, whoever you are, is full of substances that alter your mood. Chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, various prescribed drugs, various foods, etc. Smoking and eating mood altering substances has been common throughout history and throughout just about every tribe or nationality.

Besides, why should people be prescribed drugs to stop them feeling really bad but not take them to improve an "ok" mood? These drugs often have serious long term effects and are addictive, but they're ok because a drug company manufacture them and they are legal?

IMHO I'd rather half those out drinking in town on a friday night would be smoking dope instead. Rather more people get violent and aggressive and ill from alcohol than from dope (both proportionally and sheer numbers).

Of course dope can be abused. I know people who have as I'm sure others do here. A small minority of people do suffer serious effects tool; those saying otherwise are ignoring the facts.

People should be able to choose, but children should not.

Apart from anything else, the drug war has many, many casualties across the world, not just with the users.

I would have voted for the second one but I couldn't find the button ;)

...and as for a view on the whole issue, I have seen all the comments from others but my opinion is that they (the goverment) should either ban everything including cigarettes and alcohol or legalise everything and set up a register for every addict. you cannot have things both ways not what suits you.:suspect:

Originally posted by uncleheed

If this is a family forum,shouldn't this thread be pulled,it's irresponsible

LOL its quotes like that that are irresponsible,

I wholly believe in giving 2 sides of an arguement to somebody rather than hiding one side just because you believe its wrong or dont agree with it

Just because you dont agree with taking drugs you have to accept there IS a good side as well as a bad side.

People spend so much time terrorising people with the bad side and hiding the good points. And that doesnt mean all kids should take drugs cos there is no bad points, there is

Phan,

I'm probably behind the times on these things but wasn't there some work done recently to suggest that excessive use of strong weed can precipitate psychotic episodes in people who are possibly predisposed towards it?

I dislike the smell and I feel that it should have stayed in the 'illegal' category until more evidence was garnered as to the possible psychological damage. However, the way the poll was put together I had to decalre it evil, so that suits me! :)

Joe

Originally posted by JoePritchard

I dislike the smell and I feel that it should have stayed in the 'illegal' category until more evidence was garnered as to the possible psychological damage. However, the way the poll was put together I had to decalre it evil, so that suits me! :)

Joe

Joe, have I missed something, but is it not still illegal?

Anyway, I agree the poll is somewhat restrictive.

My opinion is that it should be viewed much like alcohol - something that should be respected as being potentially dangerous, but can be enjoyed responsibly.

Personally I find it rather annoying at the number of people who insist that there are absolutely no dangers involved in taking any particular sort of drug - be it alcohol, weed, heroin. whatever.

The precise gradation of the dangers is a complex issue.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need to make any drugs illegal because everyone would be wise enough to make good judgements about what is and isn't safe to use.

But, starting from fresh is not going to happen. It may be the case that alcohol and weed are about the same danger level, but it would be impossible to ban alcohol due to the culture that we live in.

Originally posted by JoePritchard

Phan,

I'm probably behind the times on these things but wasn't there some work done recently to suggest that excessive use of strong weed can precipitate psychotic episodes in people who are possibly predisposed towards it?

Joe

All this need more scientific tests before thing is complete b@*&&%%^

Cannabis is the oldest drug known to man, older than tobacco and alcohol i believe, and they also have known for decades how it effects the brain, how the thc affects your receptors etc etc

It doesnt make you mad, it triggers what you already have in your brain, which, ANYTHING can trigger it if your already in the danger group, the only problem is, you dont know if you are till your sent mad.

Archived