Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by Abdul

I don't agree.

Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, but there are criminal elements who will illegally import those products, bypassing HM excise duty, and sell them at a lower cost.

I don't expect cannabis to be any different.

the reason people import cigerettes is because the government puts too much tax ontop.

take Gibralter, i lived there for a about 1 half years its so good because they dont put tax on stuff

e.g 20 benson cigerettes is about 65p

2 ltre bottle of smurnoff vodka £3.25

in england its 20 benson £4.88

2 ltre smurnoff vodka £8.50

i dont agree with importing but this is why they do it!

I think it very much depends on the person. Some people will be badly affected by alcohol very quickly (some become allergic to it and can die from this). Some people get 'addicted' to the effects of cannabis very quickly and it can have rapid detrimental effects.

I agree though, that in general, alcohol is a more dangerous drug. Possibly tho in connection to its widespread social acceptance?

Chickmonk - what you say about cannabis is also true of quite a few other things. Prescription drugs can be far worse, and people botox themselves regularly and that's a poison which can have very nasty effects if mishandled!

As always, should people be able to use drugs to feel good or only to stop being ill? In this age of plastic surgery, botox, tanning salons (skin cancer!), I don't think there's any logical argument agains adult "at home" cannabis use if a person so chooses, legal reasons apart.

Alcohol causes far worse effects in society and individually is very damaging with long term use. Difference with cannabis is perhaps some evidence that a small minority of people react badly to cannabis, but noone knows if they would have had problems anyway.

If you think cannabis should be illegal and alcohol not, I suggest you go into a typical town centre on a friday or saturday night, or look at the problems of alcohol abuse.

Originally posted by chickmonk

I think it very much depends on the person. Some people will be badly affected by alcohol very quickly (some become allergic to it and can die from this). Some people get 'addicted' to the effects of cannabis very quickly and it can have rapid detrimental effects.

I agree though, that in general, alcohol is a more dangerous drug. Possibly tho in connection to its widespread social acceptance?

have you ever smoked cannabis???

i have when i was younger and when i wanted to stop i did.

it wasnt hard as i smoked cigerettes anyway, but i didnt find it addictive at all,

people dont go crazy like a heroine user or alcoholic would.

alcoholic will kill sometimes to get a drink, they will steal, mug people.

you dont here cannabis users doing that??

Originally posted by mjlacey21

I think 21 is a good age for them both - but I think there would have to be more late night establishments offering a wide range of non-alcoholic drinks for it to work. When we were younger we often got drunk and smoked because there was nothing else to do at that age.

yeah i know what u mean, i was like that also.

not now im older but i think 8 out of 10 teenagers will try cannabis, and 10 out of 10 will definetly drink

Crikey peeps! Have you read my posts on other threads? Not against adults doing whatever they want with their own bodies in the least!

However, I do think that it is important for people to be educated about what the risks - whether with illegal or legal drugs (you wouldn't be very impressed if your doctor gave you drugs and didn't tell you about the possible nasty side effects would you?)

I have seen first hand the damaging effects cannabis and alcohol can have on young people. BUT this doesn't mean I have any intention of suggesting that cannabis should be illegal and alcohol not. Alcohol it seems to me is more dangerous.

Why Leanah do you ask if I've ever smoked cannabis?

Archived