Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by melthebell

HUH?

in moderate cannabis is perfectly too.you can also eat it or smoke it WITHOUT ciggarette

and about the second point ??? LOL well from my personal experience people would be too stoned, friendly, happy, got the munchies to bother fighting

But how do you know that people who choose to go out and be violent on a friday night wouldn't be the same on dope? It's never happened, so we just don't know. As I have said... In my local, alcohol seems to have the effect of everyone being happy and friendly, like you describe people on dope... so I don't see a difference.

Also, I realise that you can eat it, but smoking it pure can surely leave you open to things like throat cancer and other lung related illnesses?

Originally posted by Martin Dust

A trip into town on a Friday night may give you the answer, can you imagine people trying to fight on cannabis...

Bloke One: Oi! You.

Bloke Two: What

Bloke One: What

Bloke Two: Dunno

both blokes then proceed to nearest 24 hour garage for ribena, skins and snicker

Hospitals all over the UK are full of cancer patients, people with liver problems and other alcohol related diseases and pi55heads who smashed themselves/someone elso up on a friday night, costing the NHS and taxpayer millions each year.

Hospitals are not full of cannabis users.

Cigarettes and alcohol are legal. Many, many people die each year from illnesses related to them.

Canabis and ecstacy are illegal. Very, very few people suffer any problems using them, let alone die from using them.

Originally posted by Snook

Also, I realise that you can eat it, but smoking it pure can surely leave you open to things like throat cancer and other lung related illnesses?

Hemp flowers may be heated to a temperature around 200 deg c, at which point most active constituents vaporise. This means no smoke, no carcinogens, no bronchial or pulmonary obstruction.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a mains electricity dependent strategy.

It should not be forgotten that the humble spliff is actually a cocktail of drugs, including the insanely powerful and deadly stimulant, nicotine. It is this combination that is incredibly popular, and chronically harmful.

As to which drug is worst, I think that is a redundant question, as it presumes both of them are somehow bad, one perhaps worse than the other.

Alcohol has many positives, as does cannabis.

Originally posted by SimonS

Anyone interested in reading about the Magic Mushroom law amendment...............

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1514321,00.html

I've been following this story ever since mushroom sellers wrote to the home office asking for clarification on the law.

It's just as well we have a profanity filter on the forum, because the spewing torrent of vitriol I have reserved for the thoughtless money grubbing pondlife that decided to make a mint selling cultivated p.cubensis on the open market, exploiting a well known but quietly disregarded loophole in drug law, is not for a family forum.

Before these robbers decided to package and sell something they didn't even belong to them, the nation had the freedom, if it so chose, to wander out on a dewy late August morning, and chomp down a handful of p.semilanceata mushrooms in a small act of worship at the feet of the Earth. Or even to order or collect some p.cubensis spores and cultivate a few flushes in the privacy of their own home.

Now, thanks to these ugly capitalist narcs and their greedy filthy little machinations, those treasured freedoms are gone.

I understand they have a legal defence fund....I would urge everyone to steadfastly ignore it, and hope the witless arrogance of these thieving scum is what sends their cancerous mushroom businesses to the wall.

The sale of 100,000 kilos of magic mushrooms per annum...

was a figure quoted by one mushroom seller in the article. Did he honestly think the state was simply going to sit back and let this happen - Fresh Magic Mushrooms at camden market - ffs.

If I wasn't someone filled with love for my fellow human beings, I'd be on the phone to crimestoppers on July 18th, shopping every single one of them to the poor sonuvabitch on the other end.

But because I am, I'm just going to shed a quiet tear for the mushroom - the innocent party in this debacle.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

I've been following this story ever since mushroom sellers wrote to the home office asking for clarification on the law.

It's just as well we have a profanity filter on the forum, because the spewing torrent of vitriol I have reserved for the thoughtless money grubbing pondlife that decided to make a mint selling cultivated p.cubensis on the open market, exploiting a well known but quietly disregarded loophole in drug law, is not for a family forum.

Before these robbers decided to package and sell something they didn't even belong to them, the nation had the freedom, if it so chose, to wander out on a dewy late August morning, and chomp down a handful of p.semilanceata mushrooms in a small act of worship at the feet of the Earth. Or even to order or collect some p.cubensis spores and cultivate a few flushes in the privacy of their own home.

Now, thanks to these ugly capitalist narcs and their greedy filthy little machinations, those treasured freedoms are gone.

I understand they have a legal defence fund....I would urge everyone to steadfastly ignore it, and hope the witless arrogance of these thieving scum is what sends their cancerous mushroom businesses to the wall.

was a figure quoted by one mushroom seller in the article. Did he honestly think the state was simply going to sit back and let this happen - Fresh Magic Mushrooms at camden market - ffs.

If I wasn't someone filled with love for my fellow human beings, I'd be on the phone to crimestoppers on July 18th, shopping every single one of them to the poor sonuvabitch on the other end.

But because I am, I'm just going to shed a quiet tear for the mushroom - the innocent party in this debacle.

But who's the biggest fool here: those who make money from selling the mushrooms, or those who think it's cool and clever to fry their brains by eating the mushrooms?

Originally posted by mojoworking

But who's the biggest fool here: those who make money from selling the mushrooms, or those who think it's cool and clever to fry their brains by eating the mushrooms?

They aren't fools for making money from mushrooms, they are thieving scumbags.

It is exactly 50 years ago that Gordon Wasson 'rediscovered' the psilocybe mushroom in the west.

Drugs: The Sacred Mushroom - Hallucination Rites And Religious Tabus As Accepted Customs

By R. GORDON WASSON

Not long ago The New York Times carried a dispatch from Mexico telling about the descent of hippies on Huautla de Jiménez in quest of the "sacred mushrooms." With the dispatch appeared a photo of a priestess of the rite, Maria Sabina.

Such articles make me wince. On the night of June 29-30, 1955, Maria Sabina invited me not only to attend the mushroom rite but also to partake of the mushrooms on the same footing as the Indians. This was the first time, so far as the records show, that any outsider had done so. It proved to be a profoundly moving experience, a revelation. I wrote it up for Life (May 13, 1957) and it drew wide attention.

Huautla, when I first knew it as a humble out-of-the-way Indian village, has become a true Mecca for hippies, psychopaths, adventurers, pseudo-research workers, the miscellaneous crew of our society's dropouts. The old ways are dead and I fear that my responsibility is heavy, mine and Maria Sabina's.

In 1953 when I first arrived in Huautla in quest of the sacred mushrooms no one would speak to me about them. Some said they had never heard of them. Others suggested that the cult survived four or five valleys away, or declared that it had become extinct. I quickly learned that the only way to arrive at information was to talk to the old folks, a man or woman, alone, at night, by the light of a candle, in a whisper. The mushrooms were steeped in what anthropologists call "mana." They were gathered before dawn and never exposed to the light of day. They did not change hands for filthy lucre in the market place.

How often was I told that the mushrooms were very dangerous-son muy delicados! The priestess well knew the consequences that might ensue when a psychically disturbed person took the mushrooms. When we were gathered together in some hut on the outskirts of town, the doors were shut and we were warned not to leave until dawn.

The hallucinogenic experience is best regulated by religious sanctions, not by crude laws enforced by the police and magistrates. In Huautla virtually everyone believed in the mushrooms and observed the rules. In India, among the ancient Aryans, only the priests consumed "Soma" and "Soma" was, I contend, a hallucinogenic mushroom, the fly agaric.

The Mexican mushrooms are members of a cluster of hallucinogens that the chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann of Basel has thoroughly studied. This family embraces peyote of our Southwest, a dozen or so species of mushrooms belonging to three genera that Professor Roger Heim of Paris and I located, described and named in Mexico, the seeds of two morning glories, and finally LSD. All of these are likely to have bad effects when taken by psychically disturbed individuals. LSD is so potent that the standard pure dose is only a speck. With the mushrooms, the dose is a hundred times that speck. With peyote it is a hundred times as much again. But the difficulty' is that in the black market, which our laws with their in terrorem penalties have brought into existence, one has no way of knowing what one is getting. One does not know the amount or even whether the desired drug is delivered. None of this group of hallucinogens is addictive. That is, there are no difficulties in breaking away from them.

And so I revert to what I said at the outset. Last spring, at Carnegie Hall, there was performed what the promoters dubbed a "tragifonía" entitled "Maria Sabina7 The author and composer could have made an artistic success of Maria Sabina's tragedy had they entered more fully into her village life.

Maria Sabina is a grave woman, with an inner dignity that she never loses, with long sleek hair reaching down to her feet. She is respected and beloved by the villagers-except for a few jealous ones-who say of her that she is sin mancha, immaculate, without stain.

Her tragedy, and mine also, is that she revealed to me the secret of the Indians. In a play written about her, the villagers, while still loving her, could fairly have condemned her for her disclosure, and as she ascends the scaffold_ at the end of the play, she should have sung a powerful threnody to the divine mushrooms, repeating the musical themes that I have taped from her own singing.

As for me, what have I done? I made a cultural discovery of importance. Should I have suppressed it? it has led to further discoveries the reach of which remains to be seen. Should these further discoveries have remained stultified by my unwillingness to reveal the secret of the Indians' hallucinogens?

Yet what I have done gives me nightmares: I have unleashed on lovely Huautla a torrent of commercial exploitation of the vilest kind. Now the mushrooms are exposed for sale everywhere-in every market place, in every village doorway. Everyone offers his services as a "priest" of the rite, even the politicos. In 1955 Maria Sabina ~ asked me hesitatingly for 13 pesos as the price of her services for a night's work. I have heard that now strangers pay sometimes between 500 and 1,000 pesos for a "performance'." The whole of the countryside is agog with the furtive movements of hippies, the comings and goings of the "federalistas," the Dogberries with their blundering efforts to root them out

See your point Phan. (also see that you are very riled about this!)

I don't think the Police are going be out marching across the Peaks in search of shroom picking hippies tho. I reckon they'll be more interested in 'the thieving scumbags' who sell the things. Just a thought...

Archived