Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

I'm with you Phan on this - we were all aware they were there and there is nothing nicer on a september morning than pottering around a field clutching a little plastic bag. I once saw a mole during one of these outings - never seen one before - never seen one since - was very exciting!

Why did the greedy sellers have to spoil it?

Mojoworking - Just because you don't approve of it doesn't give you the right to judge people for trying it.

Originally posted by Abdul

I don't agree.

Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, but there are criminal elements who will illegally import those products, bypassing HM excise duty, and sell them at a lower cost.

I don't expect cannabis to be any different.

fair point, but the criminal element would be much smaller than today.

Originally posted by mjlacey21

I'm with you Phan on this - we were all aware they were there and there is nothing nicer on a september morning than pottering around a field clutching a little plastic bag. I once saw a mole during one of these outings - never seen one before - never seen one since - was very exciting!

Why did the greedy sellers have to spoil it?

Mojoworking - Just because you don't approve of it doesn't give you the right to judge people for trying it.

I honestly don't care what you get up to in the privacy of your own home (or is that "your own field"). What I do object to is when certain members regularly and enthusiastically boast about and generally promote mind-altering drugs on a family forum.

We are not allowed to discuss bootleg recordings and topics relating to many types of downloading are also forbidden on this forum. Why, then, is it permissible for certain members to openly discuss their seedy drug habit without fear of censure?

Originally posted by mjlacey21

But he wasn't promoting them - it was about the laws and abuse of the loophole. All that has been mentioned has been more about the picking of them not the taking.

If you don't think he's an enthusiastic and long-term user/promoter of this particular mind-altering substance, then I suggest you do a search under the particular forum member's name + mushrooms and I'm sure you'll come up with very many results, all of them in favour of the drug.

I don't think promoting is the right word. Presenting a side of an argument that a lot of people agree with is not the same as promoting which suggests he is encouraging people to take them. From a search of past posts I found nothing encouraging - merely condoning.

Originally posted by mojoworking

Sorry Phan, but your constant promotion of mind-altering drugs is getting tiresome, not to say highly irresponsible

Yes, the truth is irresponsible and ultimately irrepressible, but I'm glad you're finding it tiresome. We aim to please.

Incidentally, your tentacles are showing.

--

The UN reports another rise in worldwide illegal drug use, with official figures jumping by 15 million to 200 million users of a wide variety of drugs.

160 million of them smoke hemp flower products 4% of the world population.

The Global Drugs trade now tops £320,000,000,000 - a figure that exceeds the GDP of 90% of countries.

The wholesale market for illicit drugs is twice as large as its nearest competing commodity - meat, five times larger than the global tobacco market, ten times larger than chocolate, twenty times larger than the coffee market.

Illicit drugs account for 1% of all money spent on commodities.

This is the fruit of prohibition; an unjustifiable and destructive policy that funds organised crime and terrorism and keeps the prices artificially inflated. With physically addictive substances, such as crack, heroin, inflated prices mean addicts will turn to property crime to fund their addiction.

If you are addicted to alcohol, you will find the state ensures that oblivion is not too expensive.

If you are addicted to hemp, then having a three month hiatus is not difficult as withdrawal is hardly unpleasant, and no physical addiction can develop.

So alcohol (and crack and heroin) are definitely worse in the addiction stakes compared to hemp (or mushrooms or other tryptamines).

In terms of lethality - the ratio of an effective dose to a lethal dose barbiturates are worst, followed by opiates, alcohol, CNS stimulants. At the bottom of that list, below caffeine, paracetamol and dxm (cough mixture) you will find cannabis, psilocybin, DMT and LSD.

So alcohol (and barbiturates and crack and heroin) are worse in the lethality stakes than hemp (or mushrooms or other tryptamines)

In terms of toxicity - the damage done to the body by ingestion, moderate drinking is less harmful than moderate hemp smoking. Providing you don't overwork your liver by drinking craploads, then having a beer is always going to be less toxic than inhaling a stream of vaporised oils and carcinogenic tars mixed with soot particles.

However, that is the method of ingestion (pyrolysis with cured n.sylvestris leaves) that is causing the damage.

As suggested previously, heating hemp flowers to 200 deg c causes the active constituents to vaporise, leaving heavier tars and oils behind, and allows inhalation of vapour without any smoke whatsoever.

Given this method of ingestion (ideal circumstances) Alcohol's mild toxicity and the sheer quantity that needs to be consumed means that it is marginally worse than hemp in the toxicity stakes.

In terms of adverse consequences and outcomes - how the drug user affects their life and the lives of others around them, Alcohol is clearly the worst by far. By lowering inhibitions (it is a central nervous system depressant and shuts down higher thought functions) heavy users may exhibit poor impulse control and a total lack of judgement. Combined with its addiction potential and physically addicting characteristics, alcohol is much worse than hemp.

That is not to underestimate the adverse consequences of hemp use, the worst of which seem to be extreme and debilitating anxiety, and the precipitation of existing or latent mental disorders, but also include depression, obsessive behaviour, and debilitating shyness.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

...The Global Drugs trade now tops £320,000,000,000 - a figure that exceeds the GDP of 90% of countries.

The wholesale market for illicit drugs is twice as large as its nearest competing commodity - meat, five times larger than the global tobacco market, ten times larger than chocolate, twenty times larger than the coffee market...

If that's the case, shouldn't "Sir Bob" be meeting a few drug barons instead of the G8 leaders...

...sounds like they'd be in a better position to help out with funding the "make poverty history" campaign.

:heyhey:

Originally posted by mojoworking

I honestly don't care what you get up to in the privacy of your own home (or is that "your own field"). What I do object to is when certain members regularly and enthusiastically boast about and generally promote mind-altering drugs on a family forum.

We are not allowed to discuss bootleg recordings and topics relating to many types of downloading are also forbidden on this forum. Why, then, is it permissible for certain members to openly discuss their seedy drug habit without fear of censure?

i've not seen you complaining about those of us who 'boast' about and encourage the use of the mind altering drug alcohol. Why's this one particularly got your goat?

Archived