Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Well, yes, if it is potatoes you are talking about.

But it's not. It's something quite different.

I'm not a fan of analogies, but take your example and extend it to something a little more elevated.

Holy communion is a popular activity worldwide.

What sort of reaction do you think a company would get if they offered a service whereby they would collect a communion wafer and tot of wine, videotape the blessing and send it to you mail order with a certificate?

How would the church feel? How would the faithful feel ?

And what sort of person would subscribe to such a venal and cynical service?

I didn't realise that eating a magic mushroom was akin to a religous activity. I'm sure that the people buying them from the market stall didn't feel like that.

You could argue that the faithful should feel hurt because I can buy red wine and wafers from the supermarket. The fact is that I use them for the physical effect (wafers are great!) rather than the mystical nonesense that the church invests them with.

If I wanted to experience the church style communion, I'm still free to go the church. If all I want to do is drink a nice bottle of wine and get a bit drunk, then I go to the offlicense.

So the mushroom sellers were giving people the choice.

Originally posted by mojoworking

No, it's more complicated that that.

I meant that railing against alcohol would be like pi**ing in the wind. Alcohol is so much a part of the social fabric that it has become almost pointless to speak out against it (much as I would like to).

Unregulated "fringe" drugs, however, are a different matter. Unlike booze, fags and the other major drugs, we are more or less starting with a clean sheet with the likes of mushrooms and have the chance to assert much more control than we did in the past.

Quite apart from all that, I really feel it's irresponsible to openly condone illegal* drugs on a family forum.

(*regardless of the level of illegality)

what confers the right on anyone to determine what I do?

Not that I do take any drugs exceptting alcohol, paracetamol and ibuprofen (not normally at the same time).

But I still feel that it should be largly my choice, unless serious harmful activity to society would result (as is the case with physically addictive drugs).

Originally posted by LEANAH

Which do you think is more dangerous Alcohol or Cannabis??

I think Alcohol causes more problems, not just health wise but world wise also??

I swear, I hate B*llsh*t questions like this.

Originally posted by LEANAH

Which do you think is more dangerous Alcohol or Cannabis??

I think Alcohol causes more problems, not just health wise but world wise also??

Why the big debate? It's obvious isn't it?

The question - dangerous

Alcohol, taken orally and absorbed through the stomach. Possible dangers:

Mouth Cancer, stomach ulcers, stomach cancer, liver cirrhosis, neurological disease, alcoholism, nausia, vomiting, aggression, violence... etc.. In high doses can be lethal

Cannabis, taken orally and absorbed through the stomach.

Possible dangers:

Intoxication, slight nausia, disorientation, temporary paranoia, temporary mental problems... erm... In high doses IS NOT LETHAL. The only way you could die from it is if you had a few kilo's dropped on your head from a great height.

Possible good effects:

Alcohol: Euphoria, lose inhibitions, makes you chatty (in small quantities!)

Cannabis: Euphoria, makes you feel good, lose inhibitions, makes you chatty... Have too much and you run the risk of feeling tired and falling asleep.

Notice I've used oral consumption and not smoking - you can't smoke a pint. And it's not the cannabis that 's harmfull when smoking, it's the smoke. Smoke just about anything and it might be bad for your health.

Well that's my two pence worth. :)

Originally posted by Cyclone

But I still feel that it should be largly my choice, unless serious harmful activity to society would result (as is the case with physically addictive drugs).

There's the rub, I fear. May I call Syd Barrett and Peter Green as (just two) witnessess for the defence m'lud? ;)

Originally posted by Cyclone

But I still feel that it should be largely my choice, unless serious harmful activity to society would result (as is the case with physically addictive drugs).

What serious harm to society is caused by physically addictive drugs (beyond those that are caused by prohibition)? (I'm not asserting there is no serious harm.)

How does this harm compare to that which is a direct result of prohibitionist policy?

I'm campaigning to legalise all existing and future drugs.

I don't believe the state can or should have jursidiction inside your body or mind, and what you choose to knowingly ingest.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

What serious harm to society is caused by physically addictive drugs (beyond those that are caused by prohibition)? (I'm not asserting there is no serious harm.)

How does this harm compare to that which is a direct result of prohibitionist policy?

I'm campaigning to legalise all existing and future drugs.

I don't believe the state can or should have jursidiction inside your body or mind, and what you choose to knowingly ingest.

the physical addiction makes it very likely that you will commit crime in order to feed the habit and in the event that you decide to stop using it there is a very real danger to yourself.

There is a cost to society for anyone who kills themselves as they cease to be productive (dead people don't turn up at work). Plus the potential medical costs if it doesn't outright kill you.

I would say cannabis is more dangerous as it is addictive and can lead on to other drugs. I believe it has been found to be even more dangerous than tobacco.

Certain types of alcohol in moderation (which is very important) is believed to be beneficial to health. I think a small amount of red wine is supposed to be good for you. However, excessive alcohol consumption is definately a health risk.

Archived