Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by MarkB

I thought Phanerothyme would be on this topic somewhere. Hes on every topic about drugs! :D

I start half of them too.

This has been a good thread, and cannabis has been covered from almost every aspect, from legal and anthropological perspectives, to chemistry, human rights, mental health and production.

mojoworking is still posting lame spelling flames. :P

I think the upshot of everything I have read so far is:

60% of forum mebers who expressed an opinion think that cannabis is either 'great' or 'alright'. 70% of forum members explicitly do not use cannabis. Of those who do not ingest cannabis, 57% think it is 'alright' and 43% think it is 'evil'.

That cannabis is an aggravating factor in mental illness.

That cannabis has many medicinal uses.

Marijuana is not a drug. It is a herb.

A natural herb plant created by God. It grows in the ground, as do all other fine herbs. SKUNK IS NOT REAL MARIJUANA.

That so called skunk is cannabis. Whether it's grown indoors, under discharge lamps, in your back bedroom, or under the blue sky on a plantation in the Rif mountains, it's a strain of C.Sativa, Indica or Ruderalis.

REAL WEED is sensi - which grows in the ground out in the garden or in the nice rice soils in Jamaica. You cant even compare the high you get from sensi to the one you get from skunk - sooooooooooo very different.

Real weed is sensi and that is deffo the best quality weed to have.

Sensi is just sinsemilla - spanish, I believe, meaning: without seeds. It's not a different plant - just has much larger buds and many more bracts, because pollination and therefore seed production is supressed (usually by growing it indoors). Energy and biomass used for seeds is diverted into more flowers

If it has seeds in, it is not sinsemilla.

Pure hydro weed, grown using liquid nutrient, soil free techniques, tends to suffer from not having an active rhizosphere. Many, many guerrilla growers use wholly organic methods, and the need for pesticides etc is vastly reduced by indoor growing. Those who grow indoors in peat free compost or other soil will often get a more rounded and mellow tasting product.

Compounds are created by combining two or more ingredients or parts.

A compound is a chemical combination of two or more chemical elements. What you are referring to is a mixture

Marijuana is a one ingredient herb plant.

There are at least three well documented active ingredients in cannabis, and it is the varying proportions of these compounds that give a strain of cannabis it's unique mental characteristics and taste.

We have learned that the brain has its own cannabinoids and recently discovered is a whole endocannabinoid signalling system within the body. Anandamide (named after the hindu goddess of Bliss) is the foremost endocannabinoid.

We know that a large portion of the effects of cannabis are learned behaviour. New users need to learn to get stoned, rather than just dizzy and disoriented.

We know that the psychedelic effects of cannabis have been utilised for at least as long as alcohol, possibly longer.

We know that the most dangerous way to ingest cannabis is rolled into a spliff with tobacco. We also know that several toxicity tests have used leaf material high in lignins and chlorophyll, and not the unpollinated female flowers, or the resin refined from them, which is what smokers tend to smoke.

We have also learned that eating cannabis can be a wild experience because Δ9 thc is converted into tetrahydrocannivarin by the liver. THCV is a great deal more powerful than the naturally occurring THC.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

The safest way to ingest cannabis with adequate control over your personal dose, is to use a vapouriser, that just boils off the active ingredients (at about 270 degC), and does not burn any part of the material - resulting in a 100% reduction of unwanted tars and soot particles.

Cool, where can I get one :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Locker

I find anyone legislating what I can do with my body and my life to be completely ridiculous. I have no clue how my choice to do what I want in the privacy of my own home (or a friend's home or a suitable place) is anyone else's business, especially the goverment.

I completely support organizations like the ACLU and any other organization who's goal it is to push personal freedoms. Here are a list of thing I feel and believe should be perfectly legal and unrestricted.

Drug Use

Suicide

Assisted Suicide

Helmetless Motorcycle Riding

Gay, Straight, Upsidedown or any sex that doesn't involve unwilling or underage participants

Gay, Straight, Multi or whatever type of marriage you want to have that doesn't involve unwilling or underaged participants

This does NOT mean I support driving under the influence, riding a motorcycle with your helmetless kid or anything else that DIRECTLY endangers someone else (that means claiming 'you are hurting me cause I'd miss you if you die' does not count as harm!).

Before you start fighting me think of all the other personally risky behavior that's perfectly legal:

Unprotected sex

Base Jumping

Sky Diving

Auto racing

Rock climbing

Church

It's my body, it's my life and I do (and should be legally allowed to) what I want. If I want to light up a joint and I enjoy it then I think it's perfectly fine. If it makes me lazy and not want to cut the grass in the garden until tomorrow, that's great with me, more time for lovin with the Missus.

Oh and just as a side note, Marijuana was made illegal in the US during the great depression as a tool to deport mexican laborers from Texas. Also marijauna is not physically addictive, does not cause brain damage and has all sorts of positive medicinal uses that are directly proven by hard science.

Such is my opinion... it's worth no more or less...

Peace,

Locker

I agree with nearly everything there.

On the issue of motorcycle helmets, there is a very real and relatively high risk of causing yourself serious avoidable impact. That impacts on many people way beyond the "I miss you" scenario.

There's the cost to the NHS, the trauma to the ambulance crew, the loss of value to society (ie dead people don't contribute to the economy) etc.... So in that case I'd say that personal freedom should be curtailed for the greater good.

If you want to ride with no helmet, do it off the public highway in private (just like smoking cannabis).

I thought he was being sarcastic myself, but chose to ignore it whatever it was.

But yes, back to debate.

Cannabis, in my opinion the good outweighs the bad. Just about every argument against is seriously flawed, as it could be applied to perfectly legal things like smoking or drinking (tobbacco & alcohol for the smart arses!) but these things remain legal, even if frowned upon.

Until I can walk into a shop and buy some, I'm not going to be happy. Dont like having to go to some guy, who knows a guy who knew a guy and end up buying any old crap if anything at all.

Am fully prepared for a life of not being happy on that score unfotunately.

Now if anyone can reccomend someone........:heyhey:

Archived