Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

It saves them huge amounts of money because of the precipitous decline in acquisitive crime. Why would an addict nick your car radio to buy heroin if he can get it prescribed?

Every study shows that relaxing drug laws reduces crime and the addiction rate.

The policies you support means more crime and more addicts.

Why do you want more people to be addicted to heroin?

The policy you support is more junkies. I wonder why:suspect:

The policy you support is more junkies. I wonder why:suspect:

Nope, other way round:

Drug users who were provided with heroin prescribed with flexible doses of methadone used fewer illicit substances and reduced the probability of their being imprisoned.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003410.html

Once again you are posting dishonest rubbish.

Nope, other way round:

Drug users who were provided with heroin prescribed with flexible doses of methadone used fewer illicit substances and reduced the probability of their being imprisoned.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003410.html

Once again you are posting dishonest rubbish.

Yes and after 4 years there were more people on Methadone than ever costing the taxpayer many £Millions.

All because of people like you.

Yes and after 4 years there were more people on Methadone than ever costing the taxpayer many £Millions.

All because of people like you.

No, there weren't:

Eighteen studies, (15 RCTs, 3 Controlled prospective studies) met the inclusion criteria for the review. Three were excluded from the meta-analysis due to lack of data on retention, heroin use or mortality. Cessation of allocated medication (11 studies, 1473 participants) was greater with LAAM than with methadone, (RR 1.36, 95%CI 1.07-1.73, p=0.001, NNT=7.7 (or 8)). Non-abstinence was less with LAAM (5 studies, 983 participants; RR 0.81, 95%CI 0.72-0.91, p=0.0003, NNT=9.1 (or 10)). In 10 studies (1441 participants) there were 6 deaths from a range of causes, 5 in participants assigned to LAAM (RR 2.28 (95%CI 0.59-8.9, p=0.2). other relevant outcomes, such as quality of life and criminal activity could not be analysed because of lack of information in the primary studies.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002210.html

Why are you posting stuff that isn't true?

And how does all equate to the cost to the taxpayer who forks out for all this treatment to self abusers?

The taxpayer benefits, big style.

Just on the legalisation of cannabis alone. And you'll start to see a decline in use too.

If you went ahead with legalising other substances, you'd probably see the same patterns (more or less) as have been seen in Portugal and Switzerland. But these two countries have only decriminalised possession of drugs, they haven't taken the whole step of legalisation, which is where the savings really stack up.

The world trade in illicit drugs is worth a lot of money. So much in fact that:

money made in illicit drug trade has been used to keep banks afloat in the global financial crisis…

Vienna-based UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa said in an interview released by Austrian weekly Profil that drug money often became the only available capital when the crisis spiralled out of control last year.

“In many instances, drug money is currently the only liquid investment capital,” Costa was quoted as saying by Profil. “In the second half of 2008, liquidity was the banking system’s main problem and hence liquid capital became an important factor.”

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime had found evidence that “interbank loans were funded by money that originated from drug trade and other illegal activities,” Costa was quoted as saying. There were “signs that some banks were rescued in that way.”

That's the kind of money that could have been 'building schools and hospitals'.

But what government has the right to regulate my state of mind? Not this one. Not me.

I've heard that there are some benefits to using cannabis - apparently it ignites new neural pathways in the brain? I know some of my friends say they experience a form of...superior performance (whatever that means!). But I'd still say making it legal will have major repurcussions on other societal aspects...therefore, maybe still a bit risky to legalize.

I really don't think you're going to see anything more than a reactionary spike, followed by a gradual decline to a plateau in the numbers of users or the amount consumed, after legalisation.

Pot heads may have little to celebrate if it is legalised - there are a lot of ways of doing it, and in my opinion, we should be discussing how to legalise it in the least damaging and most cost-efficient and beneficial way.

Whether we legalise it or not is really only a question seriously asked by the reactionary and ignorant (in the non-perjorative sense) amongst us.

To anyone else, it's steamingly obvious, and the real question is how?

Why waste further money and time on trials ,cannabis has massive potential as a relatively side effect free cure for many illnesses including cancer and is far cheaper to produce than cancer drugs used today and has never killed anyone in it's long history.

You could even make your own if it wasn't illegal.

Clip from-'Run from the cure'.(interesting documentary on the subject)

Archived