Sheffield and Expats

sandie

Sorry to here that Jossman Hope you will always remember your home town, I will never retun and live in Sheffield but will always remember it probably as it was. My family still live there and a few of the qualities are still there and yes it has changed, but to be a Sheffielder I feel privilaged.

Sorry to here that Jossman Hope you will always remember your home town, I will never retun and live in Sheffield but will always remember it probably as it was. My family still live there and a few of the qualities are still there and yes it has changed, but to be a Sheffielder I feel privilaged.

I will always be proud to be "Made in Sheffield". When I travelled the world in the Navy, I was always glad to come back home on leave. Having done my time and started working and living there permanently it became a different story. I will never forget my home city.

I left Sheffield in 1986 and have lived in London ever since. I suppose I 'got on my bike' and looked for work. There was mass unemployment at the time.

But you never lose the love of your home town, I still follow Wednesday and still think about Sheffield with fondness. Wherever I go I will always be a Sheffield lad.

I'm with you sandy, I wouldn't go back but I can't forget where I came from and have huge fond memories of the place.

I have seen the replies to the thread I started and have the repies have been mixed in their content but there is a strong feeling of proudness of the city in the early days. When I visit for all the changes some good and sad to say many not so good it is still the place where my roots are and I will defend the home town not only in the UK, but anywhere in the world.

Sheffielders everywhere no matter which county, country we all defend the town.

This is my opinion only there are many more people around the world that come from Sheffield who have had this discussin or are having it now who are not aware of this forum. If you look at other City Forums you might get 4 to 6 people a week visit or comment.

To me this shows the bond that expats have with their home town and long may it continue.

Thats me bieng boring.

I agree with all your comments Sandie, I have lived in London for the last 28 years,and I am proud to still have my accent.

I'm with the rest of you, I have very fond memories of my first 27 years growing up in Sheffield, but couldn't return to live, I'll always be a Sheffield lad & a proud Yorkshireman.

I remember the days when you could walk out of one job and go next door and start almost straight away, Sheffield led the world in cutlery & steel, unfortunately I saw none of that when I returned in the 90's to visit family etc.

My wife once said that the big hammers in the steel works, were like the heartbeat of Sheffield, it seems that it's on life support these days, evidently there was more money to be made by some by selling the technology overseas.

Reading some of the posts on the forum, I can't believe that things have changed so much, especially the Longley area, in the 50's it was like an extension of Longley Park & so quiet.

Pop, don't walk away, look em in the eye & say, you buggers would still be eating with your fingers if it wasn't for Sheffield, not only that but their manners would have been a lot better if they had come from Yorkshire.

The other day I was sat in the sunshine enjying a coffee when an English couple from London joined our table.

After the usual how do's etc. the Londoner asked me, 'Where I do you come from'?

I replied, 'Sheffield'.

He then spoiled himself by saying, 'I suppose someone's got to come from there'!

I was so angry at this, I just got up and walked out.

If I hadn't left his company I think I would have slotted him, as old as I am.

I am very proud of coming from Sheffield and I know we have our share of pillocks in the city but I will not put up with pillocks from London generalising about Sheffielders in an almost racist way.

When I return I do notice a lot of changes, some very good and some that I cannot come to terms with but it is the place I was born and bred and a place that is still a part of me, with some great memories and with some of the best people in the world.

Happy Days

Hi Pop T,

We both had 3 natural advantages,Sheffielders,Yorkshireman,and last but not least going to the Central Technical School where if you were not disciplined at home you were at school.

I was in South Africa from 1983-1998 and I was pleased my kids education was mainly in S A.

I did not like it for the first 5 years back home,weather traffic etc.

The Londoner's expression is one smart arses from anywhere in the UK might use,it is not original and not funny.

I am now used to being back and it's good to be amongs Sheffielder's again.

Regards

Flyer

I think you missed the point of my posting.

Humour and wit are one thing but sarcasm and bad manners are not the way to go through life.

I can take a laugh and a joke with anybody but my feelings towards my home town and my self respect are greater than any rude or snide remarks from any Londoner who shows no respect for Sheffield or indeed Sheffielders.

Maybe you are willing to put up with this kind of what you call dry wit or warped sense of humour but I don't.

In my travels I do not put up with any crap from anyone, I'm proud to be a Sheffielder and a Yorkshireman.

Happy Days!

Archived