Sheffield and Expats

sandie

Yes I echo the sentiments,trouble is have a feeling its rose tinted specs syndrome!! I left in 1975 couldnt have chosen a better place in which to grow up!! but sadly my beloved Sheffield like everywhere else has changed and not for the better!!still refer to it as home though!!

I too left in 1975 and have lived near Sevenoaks ever since. If asked where I come from I always say Sheffield. Down here is such a soulless place, but I like taking their money. I have never lost my Sheffield accent, even though I don't really mix with anyone from Sheffield.

Sheffield might not be my place of residance anymore, but I will defend it and will not hear it put down. I think it is one of the few places where people who are born there are so proud to be a Sheffielder first, a Yorkshireman second,English third and finally British.

i totally agree i couldnt put it better myself. one day i will move home :)

Hi Everyone,

Not been in the Forum for a long time due to sickness but I was just looking

through and saw none of the regulars that I know of , only you SKIPPY Good'Day

Very interesting thread going just now. When I am out as soon as folk pick up on my accent which has not changed in 43 years they all love the yorkshire accent and when I say I came from Sheffield they always know it as the place where you get the best cutlery and make Yorkshire puds. As a matter of fact I worked at a place that made cutlery Hopkinsons on London rd. (no relation of mine when I go round the antique shops here I always look for this name on the cutlery and not found one yet. but lots of those good old names that are still going I hope. I once picked up some great stag handled carving knife and fork.

Final word theres only one Sheffield i will always luv it and this is a great Forum most popular one I think

Regards Vera

Hi Everyone,

Not been in the Forum for a long time due to sickness but I was just looking

through and saw none of the regulars that I know of , only you SKIPPY Good'Day

Very interesting thread going just now. When I am out as soon as folk pick up on my accent which has not changed in 43 years they all love the yorkshire accent and when I say I came from Sheffield they always know it as the place where you get the best cutlery and make Yorkshire puds. As a matter of fact I worked at a place that made cutlery Hopkinsons on London rd. (no relation of mine when I go round the antique shops here I always look for this name on the cutlery and not found one yet. but lots of those good old names that are still going I hope. I once picked up some great stag handled carving knife and fork.

Final word theres only one Sheffield i will always luv it and this is a great Forum most popular one I think

Regards Vera

Hi ya vhopkinson.

I worked at Hopkinson’s London Rd back in “Errrr let me think” it must be about 1970, when did you work there?

Hi ya vhopkinson.

I worked at Hopkinson’s London Rd back in “Errrr let me think” it must be about 1970, when did you work there?

Hi There Coyleys

WoW. I go back a wee bit further Coyleys must have been in the early 50s. I worked in the office there. It was F.E. @ J.R Hopkinsons then. Guess its all its all been handed down to the families by now. Is it still going do you know. I can remember Eric but cant remember any of the others. I remember when we were,t busy they used to have us helping them pack the cutlery in those little fancy velvet boxes how things must have changed these days.

Regards Vera

I went back home to Yorkshire last week. Started in Leeds as my Son and Grandson live there.Then on to Doncaster to visit the Markets, then my home town Sheffield.

Does Sheffield want people to visit the Centre, because I was very dissapointed with the chance to park and walk round. Somehow this is not the Town I remember and yes it is a City the limited time I had it still brought back fond memories, but the local council need to look at what they have done to the most well known Steel City not only in England, but world over.

Look forward to your comments

• 1 month later...

Archived