My car is leaking water, how can I fix it?

Avoid radseal unless the car is on it's last legs anyway, or you absolutely know it's the radiator. It's most likely a hose, but you do need to find out where the water is leaking from.

Run the engine with the bonnet up, look for the drip onto the ground, then slowly dry upwards with paper towel until you know where it is actually coming out. Radseal is ok if it really is the radiator, but it does tend to block the water pathways round the engine, leaving a tendency to overheat.

Why not use a mechanic or a knowledgeable friend?

Avoid radseal unless the car is on it's last legs anyway, or you absolutely know it's the radiator. It's most likely a hose, but you do need to find out where the water is leaking from.

Run the engine with the bonnet up, look for the drip onto the ground, then slowly dry upwards with paper towel until you know where it is actually coming out. Radseal is ok if it really is the radiator, but it does tend to block the water pathways round the engine, leaving a tendency to overheat.

Why not use a mechanic or a knowledgeable friend?

Agreed.

I used to be a mechanic, Radseal=bad. It has a tendency of clogging leaks and cracks as well as passages that aren't leaks or cracks. Look and see if there is fluid on the ground where you park. If there is a lot of stains all ready find a cleaner spot to park and check it frequently. If you are blowing excessive smoke it could be an internal problem (white=water/bluish tint=oil). The wifes car has to be filled every couple of weeks, she has an internal problem (besides the ones that most wives have) with the motor and we are just using that car until it quits.

• 5 years later...
I bought an old banger that was really history,blown head gasket and leaks all over the place. I went online and found XXT radiator seal twin pack,It fixed the leaks and the head gasket . Amazing Suff.I recommend it highly.

Try advertising on a newer thread..

Archived