Captive Queen Motorcycle Club

In the seventies my Dad used to go in the Captive Queen pub and they had a motorcycle club there and sometimes my dad took us there when the bike meeting was on to look at the bikes outside.

I was only young at the time, but I remember one of the lads was killed and they had a load of bikers that rode to the funeral at Darnall.

Anyone remember it?

• 2 weeks later...
In the seventies my Dad used to go in the Captive Queen pub and they had a motorcycle club there and sometimes my dad took us there when the bike meeting was on to look at the bikes outside.

I was only young at the time, but I remember one of the lads was killed and they had a load of bikers that rode to the funeral at Darnall.

Anyone remember it?

Yes although quite a few of the bikers lost their lives in RTA's I think the one you are talking about was Andrew Arnold, he was killed on the bend at the top of East Bank Road on his way home from the Queen on a tuesday night which was bikers night. His girlfreind was found in a garden somm 100 yards away luckily she survived, her name was Cheryl Kirtan. Arny lived just off Richmond Road - right at the bottom near the hill that climbs to Handsworth, lots of people attended his funeral.I think that this must have been around 1977 or somewhere in that time frame. Seg Boyle from stradbrook also lost is brother Paul to a bike accident and Kev Bunn from Woodthorpe was so badly injured I dont think he ever made a full recovery. My mother nearly went mad from around the 1975 to 1985 years as my brother was one of the bikers and she was constantly terrified.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was talking to an elderly friend who lived near to the Captive Queen pub and she remembered this well.

It was a lad by the name of something like Cregan and the accident happened around the Attercliffe area in 1977, the funeral was at Tinsley park cemetry.

i used to go to captive queen with motor bike buddies 1972/73 one of our mates was killed he was hit by a drunk driving doctor the friend was killed outright his nickname was biscuit/biscuits

I know this post is from last year but i've only just come across it, i remember biscuit well although i was quite a few years younger than him, we lived in the area,if i remember right his surname was maskery and last year his mum was killed on city rd by a druggie on a motorbike, her name was margaret, it was widely reported in the star and such a sad story.

• 3 months later...

I used to go there with my mate Graham Sanderson,we both had RD250's then,I remember being in the parade of bikers as we were both in that,he lived at Shiregreen I think and the funeral was at that church at Lane Top.We rode from there through Wicobank to Tinsley Park Cemery,the accident happened at Washford Bridge,his helmet split open.

Archived