Global Warming Poll - Man Made - Yes/No?

GLOBAL WARMING POLL-Man Made-Yes/No?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. GLOBAL WARMING POLL-Man Made-Yes/No?

• YES
    • NO

You have hit the nail on the head there; the media had us thinking planes were going to drop out of the sky, computers would crash, tills and credit cards would be useless and what happened, nothing. :D :D
thats not strictly true. i seem to remember a bus company in south africa had some issue

You have hit the nail on the head there; the media had us thinking planes were going to drop out of the sky, computers would crash, tills and credit cards would be useless and what happened, nothing. :D :D

A couple of points here, sure the media hyped it up but then again when has the media not hyped up potential problems, they sell more newspapers that way. Just because the media are hyping up the current global warming story doesn't mean that no problem exists.

With regard to the Millenium bug, don't forget we were given a lot of warning well before the year 2000 that problems might occur, and as such most companies big and small that valued there data and computer systems took steps to rectify any potential problems, I know the company I worked for certainly took it seriously and took steps to rectify potential problems.

Although planes didn't fall out of the sky nor did rogue nuclear weapons get set off as suggested might happen by the media, there were a number of problems repoted here in the developed world:

Reported problems include:

In Ishikawa, Japan, radiation-monitoring equipment failed at midnight, but officials said there was no risk to the public.

In Onagawa, Japan, an alarm sounded at a nuclear power plant at two minutes after midnight.

In Japan, at two minutes past midnight, Osaka Media Port, a telecommunications carrier, found errors in the date management part of the company's network. The problem was fixed by 2:43 a.m. and no services were disrupted.

In Japan, NTT Mobile Communications Network (NTT DoCoMo), Japan's largest cellular operator, reported on January 1, 2000, that some models of mobile telephones were deleting new messages received, rather than the older messages, as the memory filled up.

In Australia, bus-ticket-validation machines in two states failed to operate.

In the United States, 150 slot machines at race tracks in Delaware stopped working.

In the United States, the U.S. Naval Observatory, which runs the master clock that keeps the country's official time, had a Y2K glitch on its Web site. Due to a programming problem, the site reported that the date was Jan. 1, "19100."

In France, the national weather forecasting service, Meteo France, said a Y2K bug made the date on a webpage show a map with Saturday's weather forecast as "01/01/19100"

You've also got to consider how many problems went unreported by those not in the developed countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y2K

Computers have glitches daily we didn’t get the computer meltdown that was predicted, just as many of the global warming predictions will be well wide of the mark.

I think we're in agreement, the media hype up everything but the problem of global warming shouldn't be ignored because the media may have hyped it up.

Global warming may still cause problems even if they don't turn out as catastrophic as some described. Also it tends to be the poorer or the less develop countries who suffer the brunt of any disasters, manmade or other wise.

Computers have glitches daily we didn’t get the computer meltdown that was predicted, just as many of the global warming predictions will be well wide of the mark.

What predictions? The most worrying stuff I've read about global climate change are the observations.

And how is it in any way analogous to the Y2K 'problem'?

What predictions? The most worrying stuff I've read about global climate change are the observations.

And how is it in any way analogous to the Y2K 'problem'?

I'm with you on this one Phanerothyme, the Y2K problem isn't a particuarly good parallel from which to draw conclusions on the current climate change phenomenon. The original poster who brought up the analogy of the Millenium bug was, I think, trying to suggest that we got it wrong about the Millenium bug so wev'e probably got it wrong about the global warming problem, a view I don't happen to share.

By the same token we got it right with CFCs and ozone depletion, so we've got it right now with GCC.

Corrupt logic,although slightly less so, because it was climate scientists wot alerted us to that as well.

You could also cite when the "experts" got it right with warnings about New Orlean's and it's levy system's vunerability to big hurricanes years before Katrina struck. Only this time the authorities sadly failed to act upon the information.

Archived